Reporter, Science and Environment
Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the nation’s largest and most respected NPR-member organizations and is home to WBEZ 91.5 FM, This American Life, Sound Opinions, and Vocalo. We serve a listening audience of nearly 600,000 and broadcasts throughout Chicago and the surrounding regions. We have an innovative company culture and state-of-the-art facilities. In addition to studios at Navy Pier, we have reporters stationed at four neighborhood bureaus located in the Chicago area and Northwest Indiana.
We currently have an opening for a Science and Environment Reporter. This position will produce beat related news reports and features, interviews and content for broadcast and our website.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with an assigned Desk Editor and the Managing Editor to produce science and environment related content for broadcast and web.
- Generates and pitches original story ideas. Researches, reports, writes and produces material for multiple platforms.
- Files spot reports live in studio or in the field and may contribute to roundtable discussions of events and issues. Conducts live debriefs with hosts as appropriate.
- Assists in training/mentoring of interns and other staff as appropriate.
- May substitute for news anchors and hosts as requested.
- Participates in on-air fund-raising.
- Performs all duties in a manner consistent with Chicago Public Radio’s high journalistic standards to ensure that accuracy, thoroughness, and fairness are central characteristics of all content presented.
Must have two years of full-time journalism experience with broadcast experience and digital experience strongly emphasized. Must demonstrate strong writing, reporting and production skills. On-air hosting and audio editing experience desirable. Knowledge of Chicago and Illinois science and environmental issues desired. Expected to be well informed in a wide range of areas beyond current events. Must have excellent writing, and interviewing skills. Must have ability to meet deadlines and take direction.
Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience or training or experience.
Please include web links to your journalistic work in your cover letter.
We have a company culture that encourages innovation. A PPO Health/Dental/Vision plan. We are located on Navy Pier, with great views of the city, and easy access via public transportation. Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, an Affirmative Action Employer and actively seeks diversity in the workplace.
Send application materials to:
CPB is not responsible for the accuracy of the information in the job announcements or for any aspect of the hiring process for non-CPB job announcements in the Jobline. Please send all applications for non-CPB jobs to the appropriate station or entity.
Chicago Public Media
May 18, 2012
Open Until Filled