The OIG’s vision is to be "agents of positive change" working with the CPB and the public broadcast community to improve its programs and operations. In this effort, we will vigilantly maintain our independence and impartial perspective, while we provide helpful advice and consultation. Internally, we will continue to refine our business processes and practices and maintain an emphasis on reinventing our organization and skills to better serve our customers and clients.
The statutory mission of the OIG is to conduct and supervise independent audits and investigations. Overall, the OIG works to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness and to deter and prevent fraud, waste, and mismanagement in the CPB programs and operations. The IG fully informs top CPB management, the CPB Board of Directors and Congress of significant problems found at CPB and in the public broadcasting community. In sum, the OIG seeks to:
- Find and report on current problems, and
- Foster good program management to improve future operations.
OIG staff is required to follow professional, technical, and ethical standards applicable to our work. We are committed to do our work fairly and thoroughly; report the results of our efforts accurately and objectively; and provide information and assessments in a timely manner so that it is available to assist our stakeholders in making relevant decisions.
OIG staff takes personal and professional responsibility for the quality of our work and treats similar matters consistently based upon relevant information and evidence.
OIG staff is expected to think creatively, adapt quickly to new ways of addressing issues tailored to the unique situations encountered in individual assignments, and continually work to build on successful processes to make them better.
OIG staff is respectful of others; seeks common ground with managers, staff and stakeholders as we work with them; and is honest, trustworthy, and straightforward. We will cooperate to the extent possible without compromising our independence.
The OIG has adopted the following goals:
- Help CPB achieve its desired goals by providing audit, investigative, and/or consulting services of significant benefit to CPB’s programs and operations, while ensuring the integrity and reliability of the OIG's work.
- Build stronger working relationships with CPB management, the public broadcasting community, and other professional organizations.
- Improve the timeliness and quality of the OIG's performance by adopting more efficient, effective, and innovative processes within the OIG.