- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: One of Marketplace's offices in LA, NY, DC or remote, anywhere within the U.S.A.
- Start Date: January 10, 2022 - May 27, 2022
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Intern, Digital - Marketplace:
Our newsroom is seeking an individual who has an active interest in journalism, website curation and SEO. We are seeking a creative intern to provide support to the Marketplace website team and learn original reporting. Are YOU that person? If so, you will have an opportunity to write original articles for the website and work alongside web producers, editors and reporters with a focus on making sure the site is kept current and engaging. You will learn how to strengthen skills in writing, content creation, editing, curation and remote teamwork.
Key Learning Goals:
This would be a great role for someone interested in learning about reporting, editing and website production.
- The culture and business of a nonprofit media organization.
- Insight into the journalism industry and Marketplace’s properties. The digital team touches everything from radio to digital, writing to copy editing.
- Help the website team drive audience engagement and help further our mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country.
- How to use Google tools to determine and increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Tangible experience in daily website updating for a journalism organization.
- With support and guidance, write original articles under your byline to be published on Marketplace.org.
- Work with team members to rewrite radio stories into website articles.
- Help to source, optimize and place relevant images into digital stories.
- Research and add links to previous MP articles and other sources in new Marketplace stories
- Use SEO best practices to help come up with headlines and descriptions geared toward search engine optimization.
- Join the digital team meetings and trainings.
- Help curate special sections, collections and possibly Homepage, making sure they are kept up to date.
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or public transportation.
- Eligible to accrue sick time off.
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA.
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience.
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspectives of the organization.
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months.
- Self-starter with an interest in journalism and how economic news intersects with people’s lives.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively.
- A team player who is accountable, proactive, and solution-oriented.
- Coursework or experience in journalism and ideally specifically digital writing and editing.
- Ability to create charts, maps graphs for the website a plus but not required
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Working knowledge of Outlook email client
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What interest you about this role?
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment or in your own home and sit for extended periods of time.
- A place to work undisturbed at home while in remote situation
- Required to move about in the community. (only after COVID)
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Please submit all resumes and cover letter to this LINK