POSITION: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: CEO/General Manager
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
JOB LEVEL: Director
Blue Ridge Public Radio creates and curates content that informs, inspires, connects, and reflects the people and places of Western North Carolina. BPR cultivates a more engaged, curious, and empathetic public by listening deeply and embracing diversity.
Boasting an award-winning local news team, Blue Ridge Public Radio (“BPR”) is the largest NPR affiliate in the region, serving 13 counties across Western North Carolina with two broadcast channels, BPR News and BPR Classic for more than 40 years. Our newly renovated, state-of-the-art studios are in downtown Asheville, a city in the heart of the beautiful Appalachian and Smoky Mountains. Regularly included in one of the most desirable places to live in the country, Asheville offers a vibrant local food scene, incredibly diverse live music landscape, and endless outdoor recreation. Given the station’s robust listening base and growing pool of major donors, BPR is in a unique position to grow over the next three to five years. BPR recently appointed Jeff Pope as its next CEO/General Manager. His tenure begins on July 1, 2022.
The Director of Development will be responsible for all fundraising efforts of BPR. As a member of the senior management team, reporting to the CEO/GM, the Director of Development will work to develop strategies to support the station’s annual plan through all the various revenue streams, to include membership, major giving, events, planned giving, foundations and grants, and potential future capital campaigns. The Director of Development will utilize a host of effective established resources, processes, and tools to support all areas of fundraising within the organization, while focused on increasing contributed revenue to BPR. BPR’s annual budget is approximately $3M, of which $1.6M comes from individual giving.
The Director of Development also oversees external communications (including weekly emails), marketing efforts, and events. The Director of Development should have strong presentation and data analysis skills.
We are eager to speak to candidates who are creative, possess initiative, and who value and champion diversity, inclusivity and equity in their own approach to leading teams and serving the community.
- Manage a development and membership team of three full-time employees.
- Develop, manage, and evaluate traditional as well as new digital fundraising strategies to meet the annual fundraising targets.
- Identify, cultivate, acknowledge, and retain a portfolio of 40+ donors who support the work of the organization.
- Solicit (in person and writing) and close gifts beginning at $2,500 to increase overall major gift support.
- Build a culture of philanthropy and donor stewardship throughout the organization.
- Strategize with the membership and development team to support the department at all levels; to include, assisting with the marketing plan as well as working to resolve donor issues, database support and all membership operations.
- Work closely with the CEO/GM and Board of Directors to prospect and cultivate major donor prospects for funding future BPR initiatives.
- Plan and oversee all internal and external station events.
- Coordinate and direct donor communications.
- Design financial reports to regularly update CEO/GM and Board of Directors on fundraising progress and membership goals. Commit to using data analytics for transparent reporting.
- Oversee the development and application of grants to private and governmental agencies.
- Work with the senior management team and Board of Directors to evaluate, develop, and implement all annual, capital and planned giving campaigns the station may consider.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to influence and engage with a wide range of donors and foster genuine, long-term relationships.
- A strong entrepreneurial drive, combined with the ability to collaborate fruitfully as a team member.
- Ability to communicate the mission, goals, and activities of the institution and foster genuine, long-term relationships.
- Ability to close major gifts of $2,500 and up as well as make aspirational solicitations.
- Knowledge of budget management and preparation.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills demonstrate leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy, attention to detail, creativity, and cultural sensitivity.
- Strong project management and organizational competencies with a demonstrated aptitude for multitasking, attention to detail, and meeting competing and overlapping deadlines.
- Outstanding communication skills ‑ interpersonal, verbal, and written.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed goals and performance objectives in the planning, execution, and financial goals and fundraising targets.
- Fundraising and stewardship event planning experience.
- Grant writing and reporting.
- CRM experience, ability to analyze data and benchmarks.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, working in non-profit organizations.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Willingness to work in an office environment.
- Passion for Public Media.
- A sense of humor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Five years of experience in development and non-profit fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of three or more.
- Track record of increasing contributed revenue.
- Proven ability to close major gifts of $2,500 or more.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience with external and internal communications a plus.
- Experience with events, internal and external, also a plus.
- All Microsoft Office platforms.
- BPR Currently Uses Allegiance as its Donor Database.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary Range: $80,000 to $100,000 and commensurate with experience
- Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, vision (employee pays 20%) and 403(b) match up to 5% administered through TIAA.
- BPR offers a hybrid (office/home) work environment.
- Relocation assistance: up to $5,000
- Desired Start Date: Early July, 2022
- Send application materials-Cover Letter (no more than 750 words) and Resume to email@example.com
- References will be required for final round candidates.
- The position is open until filled, but initial review of applications will begin on Monday, May 16, 2022.