CapRadio is hiring a new Story Editor, and we’re looking for journalists who:
- put audiences first
- believe in front-end editing and mindful collaboration
- are skilled at planning and coordination
- communicate clearly and intentionally
- engage colleagues with humanity
- approach stories via an equity lens
- are excited about Sacramento
Our hiring committee hopes to build a candidate pool of smart and experienced journalists, whether or not they’ve previously served as a news or story editor.
Yes, “radio” is in our company’s name. But don’t let a lack of broadcast or audio experience deter you from inquiring or applying. We need journalists from text, print and digital backgrounds. We can support the right candidate’s development at our multiplatform media company.
The majority of the Story Editor’s time will be spent working with reporters and journalist teams: developing and editing daily news stories, collaborating on features and enterprise work, collaborating on other content projects. There is a focus on daily and mid-range reporting, especially during major news moments. But there is also impact work, longitudinal features and multiplatform content. And the story editor also will be asked to do reporting of their own.
Crucially, we need an editor whose instincts are to ask questions such as:
- Who is not included in this story but should be?
- Am I overlooking equity issues?
- What audiences need this information and how can we best serve them?
This is a unique opportunity to join a media company with a mindset for growth and that is scheduled to open a new headquarters in downtown Sacramento this year. You’ll be a leader and a trusted voice among co-workers who value inclusivity and collaboration.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization, which takes all kinds of people from a variety of lived experiences. If you’re excited about this role but don't meet all of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply.
- Assigns and edits stories
- Plans, develops and edits enterprise stories and high-impact projects
- Collaborates with editors on planning and strategy
- Helps with content planning
- Reviews how audiences use our content and shares insights with team
- Reports, writes and produces stories
- Supervises a team of reporters
- Leads newsroom meetings as needed
- Journalism experience
- Strong collaboration skills
- Storytelling skill
- News judgment
Please share with us:
- Why you are interested in the position in fewer than 300 words
- A one-page resumé
- A web link to at least three journalism stories or projects and explain your role in the production of the work (we’re looking for writing samples and, if relevant, editing samples, as well)
Please upload your application materials. You can address your letter to the hiring manager for this position, Nick Miller (he/him), Managing Editor, News. If you have any inquiries or trouble submitting your application materials to the link, please contact us at email@example.com.
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.