About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me…, Nerdette, Making Obama and the ground-breaking podcast Motive. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ Chicago (91.5 FM and wbez.org) is Chicagoland’s premier hub for trusted, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative music and culture format.
The Opportunity: Development Associate
The Development Associate is a critical member of the Development team. This is a support role that works alongside all members of the team to achieve annual fiscal and strategic goals. Duties include data management for the department; reporting on activities and outcomes related to major donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; generating mailings and issuing tax receipts and personalized thank you letters to donors; conducting prospect research; assisting with major donor-related events; and other administrative duties. This is a full-time professional staff position reporting to the Senior Director of Development. The Development Associate must demonstrate strong attention to detail, have exceptional organizational skills, and have strong analytical and writing skills.
- Data Management
- Perform data management and ensure data integrity, including data entry, data uploads, and data cleanses
- Conduct various types of reporting that track progress toward goals, fundraising activity, portfolio and pipeline management, engagement, etc.
- Generate and track proposals in the CRM (Salesforce) and support moves management
- Gift Processing and budget monitoring
- Process gifts and enter financial data in a timely and accurate manner, with high attention to detail
- Enter, maintain, track, and reconcile giving data in coordination with Finance
- Assist in tracking multi-year giving schedules and monitor cross departmental reporting
- Gift Acknowledgements, Donor Correspondence
- Produce timely, personalized thank you letters and tax receipts
- Generate mailings lists and custom letters to constituents
- Other board and donor correspondences
- Prospect Research on individual and institutional prospects
- Major Donor Event Support
- Other Administrative Duties
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong attention to detail with strong organizational ability (required)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with demonstrated Excel expertise (required)
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience (Development experience highly preferred)
- Demonstrated 2+ years of expertise working in a complex CRM (Salesforce preferred)
- Ability to build custom queries and reports within a CRM
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data and research for a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to understand key business objectives and the context/implications of all Development work as part of a comprehensive fundraising effort
This position may require you to occasionally work evenings and weekends depending on the news cycle.
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality medical, dental, and vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)-retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days
Due to current COVID restrictions, you must be able to work remotely at your own designated location with Internet access and you must be willing and able to work at our Navy Pier offices, if needed. Right now, most of our staff is working remotely.
The essential functions described above are not all-inclusive and may change periodically to meet the needs of Chicago Public Media (CPM). The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. Chicago Public Media may change the content or format of this job at any time in its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we actively seek and welcome people from all backgrounds, orientations, and life experiences to join our team.