About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched shows as The American Life, Wait, Don't Tell Me..., Nerdette, Making Obama and the ground-breaking podcast Motive. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including radio broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland's premier media hub for high quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ's sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
Chicago Public Media is looking for an experienced editor to oversee its newsroom freelance program and exciting expansion of news topics. In this role, the editor would cultivate relationships with Chicago area freelance journalists and community members, assign and edit new stories, op-ed columns, photos, videos, and other news content.
This position requires someone who has excellent news judgment and has general familiarity with issues that resonate with a Chicago audience. We’re looking for a solid news editor who can manage both breaking and enterprise stories across several topic areas, including business, transportation, arts & culture, health and wellness and the environment. While the stories are geared toward a digital audience, there is an opportunity to collaborate with our audio team for on-air coverage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assign daily and long-term features, profiles, reviews, trend pieces and breaking news.
- Edit content for accuracy, style, clarity, and SEO.
- Recruit, train and manage freelance writers/reporters.
- Collaborate with senior editors, editors, producers, and reporters on story ideas.
- Communicate across teams to hone story ideas, brainstorm, pitch and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Work with producers and editors on packaging content for digital and audio.
- Good at project management/managing sizeable freelance budget.
- Manage contracts, facilitate freelance rates/payments.
- Skilled at editing across topic areas for daily and enterprise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, web design, or related field.
- 5 years of experience in an editorial, creative, and/or media production setting.
- Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with other departments.
- Ability to work on deadline and balance short-term and long-term news stories.
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing, and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences, and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience, and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days.
This position is a member of SAG-AFTRA.
Due to current COVID restrictions, you must be able to work remotely at your own designated location with Internet access and you must be willing and able to work at our Navy Pier offices, if needed. Right now, most of our staff is working remotely.
The essential functions described above are not all-inclusive and may change periodically to meet the needs of Chicago Public Media (CPM). The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. Chicago Public Media may change the content or format of this job at any time in its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we actively seek and welcome people from all backgrounds, orientations, and life experiences to join our team.