About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched shows as The American Life, Wait, Don't Tell Me..., Nerdette, Making Obama and the ground-breaking podcast Motive. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including radio broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland's premier media hub for high quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ's sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
Chicago Public Media is seeking a writer for a new editorial newsletter that will bring essential news and features coverage to a fast-growing audience for WBEZ news content. The writer will work with WBEZ’s newsroom of reporters and editors to summarize and contextualize the big stories of the day or write lead stories of their own. We are looking for someone with exceptional writing skills who can explain complex news stories with a distinct voice in clear, conversational language. Familiarity with Chicago’s arts and culture scene is a plus, as well as an interest in business, transportation, and the environment.
This role will be an integral part of a small team creating a high-profile, habit-forming editorial product, and lead the development of its tone and format. Our ambition for this daily newsletter is to reach a young and diverse audience with a trusted source of news and information that feels essential, relatable, and indispensable for understanding the city and its people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the chief writer for WBEZ’s new morning newsletter, including analysis and original reporting.
- Collaborate with WBEZ editors and reporters to feature investigative and enterprise projects, as well as develop content for newsletter-exclusive placement.
- Plan, schedule, and build the newsletter for email distribution but also auxiliary or emergent channels such as web, app, and other formats.
- Monitor performance analytics and spearhead incremental improvements and periodic redesigns.
- Ability to operationalize strategic initiatives.
- Contribute to additional editorial projects as assigned.
- Participate in membership or fundraising activities as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- 3-5 Years journalism experience.
- Strong reporting background and significant experience writing with voice and distinction.
- Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Ability to work on daily, non-negotiable deadlines.
- Experience presenting data-driven conclusions and outcomes to colleagues.
- Excellent communication and data presentation skills.
- Strong collaborative/teamwork skills; a problem solver who is results oriented.
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing, and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences, and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience, and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days.
This position is a member of SAG-AFTRA.
Due to current COVID restrictions, you must be able to work remotely at your own designated location with Internet access and you must be willing and able to work at our Navy Pier offices, if needed. Right now, most of our staff is working remotely.
The essential functions described above are not all-inclusive and may change periodically to meet the needs of Chicago Public Media (CPM). The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. Chicago Public Media may change the content or format of this job at any time in its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we actively seek and welcome people from all backgrounds, orientations, and life experiences to join our team.