Who we are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Product Development Specialist in Wixom, MI, in a hybrid work structure, working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest.
The Product Development Specialist is responsible for understanding opportunities related to the stations programming areas: Arts & Culture, Leadership & Public Affairs, Children & Education, Energy & Environment, and will work to develop and build fundable product plans for use by the corporate, foundations, and major giving team. As part of the Strategic Business Planning team, this individual will create tangible sales packages, presentations, and other materials positioned to align with funder interests and the station’s mission.
Collaboration with internal departments and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously are critical to this role to ensure early input from stakeholders, commitment to the product plan, and consistent understanding of the product throughout the building.
- Develop and design sales packages, project proposals, and other funding presentations based on funder interests including deliverables, timelines, and budgets through understanding of project concepts, ideas, and station relationships.
- Create and maintain a library of resources to use in the creation of customized packages for proposals.
- Collaborate with the strategic business planning, communications, operations, and content departments to ensure all products are aligned with the station brand and mission; ensure full understanding of all communications, administrative, production, and engagement support required for each product.
- Manage asset inventory to ensure consistent recognition, placement, and visibility for funders across all platforms.
- Support development team in developing written copy for solicitations and donor communication materials.
- Compile statistics, stories, and photos from completed projects for use in donor communication.
- Collect data related to evaluation grant reports, proof of performance summaries, and funder data requests and share data with the development team.
- Conduct research to understand each of the program areas and use recent articles, statistics, and stakeholder perspectives to articulate the need and potential impact of DPTV programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to meet deadlines while managing competing priorities and working on multiple projects at once.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, with a passion for producing well-written, error-free copy and a strong opinion about Oxford Commas. Ability to effectively translate complex programs and ideas into clear and understandable descriptions and adjust messaging for different audiences.
- Strong sense of design with ability to create compelling and attractive Powerpoint presentations and experience creating professional looking documents using programs such as MS PowerPoint and Publisher or Adobe InDesign.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting, and reporting data. Ability to compile and process data using MS Excel or similar spreadsheet applications. Experience using Salesforce or Airtable a plus.
- Proactive in anticipating needs and reacting to urgent requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or equivalent experience.
- 3 years of experience in product development, sales, fundraising, marketing, or communications.
- 2 years of experience developing proposals and presentations.
- 2 years of experience in project management preferred.
- Experience in media or non-profit organizations preferred.
Individual must be able to type and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time.
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment.
What you’ll get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.