Winner of more than 40 Emmy Awards, ITVS is public media’s leading incubator and presenter of documentary film. We partner with filmmakers who bring untold stories to public media to make a difference in the world. For over 25 years, we’ve been committed to diversity on both sides of the camera, helping filmmakers tell and share vital stories that are reflective of our society.
The person in this role leads the Business department, reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer, and participates on the Executive Team (E-Team) and the Senior Leadership Team (SMT) in an organization of 65+ staff. Responsibilities include: oversight of four (4) business units consisting of twelve (12) staff; lead negotiations to secure major funding contracts; collaborate with the CEO and Executive Team to co-develop and lead implementation of the fiscal year annual plan; lead mid-term strategic planning to develop and integrate goals for business development and diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging and accessibility (DEIBA) initiatives; act as advisor to senior leaders on operational and financial planning, budgeting, and modeling; lead organizational development and strategic workforce planning; and work with the CEO to support and guide the Board of Directors in the areas of financial information and provide overall advisory support.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participate on the Executive Team (E-Team) and Senior Management Team (SMT), informing and developing the strategic directions of the organization.
- Partner with the CEO and E-Team on annual and mid-term planning for business development and DEIBA initiatives, organizational programs, and operations.
- Lead the organization's fiscal function and performance, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance standards are achieved.
- Provide recommendations based on capacity analysis and projections.
- Partner with CEO and the Controller on financial scenario planning, expense control, budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis and other duties as assigned
- Partner with the CEO and Development unit to secure new revenue and steward relationships with key partners such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and PBS.
- Act as advisor to the Vice Presidents who lead the Content department and Audience Development department.
- Assist with financial plans, budgets and modeling as needed.
- Oversee IT strategy and associated cross-functional teams on planning and implementation of technology systems (i.e., NetSuite, Asana, Rightsline, Facilis)
- Partner with the CEO to ensure the organization maintains a ‘brick and mortar’ headquarters in San Francisco’s film and media district.
- Provide support with property searches and/or lease negotiations, etc.
- Develop and deliver reports and other advisory communications to guide the Board of Directors in its financial stewardship and governance of the organization.
- Lead and manage the Business department, overseeing the work of unit leaders and operations.
- Units include: Finance, Business & Legal Affairs (BLA), Information Technology (IT) and Operations (i.e., Human Resources and Facilities).
- Partner with the Finance team to ensure highest quality practices and procedures related to accounting, internal controls, audits, and reporting to federal agencies and private funders.
- Work with the Controller to provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends in order to assist the CEO/President, the Board, and other senior leaders in performing their responsibilities.
- Partner with BLA to ensure production licensing contracting and all other legal matters are managed efficiently and with the highest level of integrity and client service.
- Partner with HR to ensure highest quality best practices and procedures related to workforce planning, development and management.
- Lead and guide Operations, including Facilities, with support from the Business Manager.
- Collaborates with the Executive Team to set strategic outcomes, allocates resources accordingly, and stewards the overall health of the organization in alignment with market realities and opportunities.
- Leads major contract negotiations with external parties, and represents ITVS’ point of view in high-level interactions with key stakeholders.
- Translates major stakeholders’ points of view into strategic opportunities for ITVS.
- Leads work relations with enthusiastic and exceptional service, anticipating and listening for needs, handling inquiries and resolving issues.
- Communicates effectively; clearly articulates concepts, problem sets and strategies.
- Mentors and guides lesser experienced colleagues as a trusted advisor and support.
Area of Work
- Manages multiple units competently with subject matter expertise, and executes to meet strategic outcomes.
- Develops teams using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Sets clear and reasonable expectations with peers and staff that ensure sustainable, manageable and regenerative work practices.
- Delivers performance management goals and objectives for the organization
- Fosters and cultivates a culture of care and a high commitment to quality informed by ITVS values.
- Contributes to culture by proactively participating in organization programs and staff events.
- Seeks and integrates constructive feedback to drive continuous improvement.
- Works collaboratively with peers and staff; builds relationships through effective and compassionate communication.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- A commitment to ITVS’ mission and an ability to apply sensitivity to a variety of social, economic, and cultural perspectives
- Cares about principles associated with diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging; willing and wanting to support the voices and visions of underrepresented communities, and reflect the interests and concerns of a diverse society
- Must love the work, succeeding, bringing out the best from others, inspiring teamwork
- Strong leadership skills, superb communication skills, and impeccable integrity
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and be viewed as a trusted business partner to the organization
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; successful in change management
- Entrepreneurial spirit and future forward thinker
- Strong desire to empower others, to be a member of a dynamic team
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude; clear and professional communicator
- Adaptable to a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Required: Fifteen (15) or more years of progressively complex administrative experience, preferably in both media/technology and nonprofit environments
- Required: Eight (8) or more years of experience in an executive management-level role
- Required: Experience being a champion and enthusiast of creative solutions using technology and information systems for media business
- Required: Experience managing organizational systems/infrastructure including Information Technology, Human Resources, Facilities, etc.
- Required: Knowledge of California and San Francisco employment laws and regulations
- Preferred: Experience or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, fund and grants management, government contracts compliance
- Preferred: CPA certification is a plus.
ITVS is a financial steward of public funds and committed to pay transparency, as well as providing equitable and competitive compensation for staff. For this role the pay range is $256,171.30 - $271,240.20 and all incumbent new hires base pay will begin at $256,171.30. This is an exempt position that pays an annual salary and includes a robust benefits package. Advancement in the pay range is dependent on advancement in the role.
Creativity, collaboration and building community are essential to ITVS’ long-term health and sustainability. Our goal is to provide a flexible hybrid model of in-person and remote work that supports individual productivity, teamwork, and an organizational culture fueled in part by being present with one another. To achieve this goal in-office attendance, of at least eight (8) days a month, is a requirement of working at ITVS.
It's important for you to know we love cover letters, they help us understand why you are interested in working at ITVS and they show us how you express yourself in writing. We will prioritize applicants who provide a cover letter.
ITVS aspires to make the online job application process accessible to any and all users.
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the application process, and would like to request assistance or accommodation, please contact us at jobs@ITVS.org
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any bias including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin.
Lastly, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
APPLY AT: https://itvs.org/about/jobs/