Winner of more than 40 Emmy Awards, ITVS is public media’s leading incubator and presenter of documentary film. We partner with filmmakers who bring untold stories to public media to make a difference in the world. For over 25 years, we’ve been committed to diversity on both sides of the camera, helping filmmakers tell and share vital stories that are reflective of our society.
The person in this role will report to the Associate Director of Marketing and Publicity, and work in collaboration with a team of brand managers, social media experts, and content creators as well as the independent documentary makers who chose ITVS as their co-production partner. Responsibilities include: planning and executing publicity strategies for a variety of documentary productions, and building buzz around streaming availability for ITVS’s Emmy® Award-winning PBS franchise series Independent Lens. The publicity manager will also execute key corporate communications strategies to strengthen the ITVS institutional brand.
- Collaborate with independent documentary filmmakers to plan earned media strategies for 20+ Independent Lens titles annually.
- Serve as the primary relationship holder between filmmakers and ITVS on select Independent Lens titles.
- Draft press releases, assemble press kits, conduct media relations, press pitching and talent booking, and maintain online press rooms.
- Build and lead earned media strategies to boost visibility for Independent Lens and other ITVS brand initiatives.
- Manage communication and strategy for external stakeholders, including PR agencies, publicity consultants and counterparts at PBS.
- Field incoming media requests and build relationships with members of the press.
- Execute publicity strategies at key industry events, including the Television Critics Association Press Tour, Sundance Film Festival, ITVS Independents Summit, and select documentary-focused screenings and events.
- Manage earned media metrics; develop, analyze and deliver insights through reporting.
- Manage brand prestige strategies, including preparing award submissions for key industry activations such as the Emmy® Awards, Peabody Awards, and Webby Awards.
- Prepare data-driven reports communicating earned media outcomes.
- Negotiate vendor agreements and service provider contract renewals, and process invoices.
- Develop agendas and facilitate meetings as needed.Contribute to developing ITVS culture by proactively participating in institutional programs and staff events.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- A commitment to social impact work and engagement in a variety of social, economic, and cultural perspectives.
- Cares about principles associated with diversity and inclusion; willing and wanting to support the voices and visions of underrepresented communities, and reflect the interests and concerns of a diverse society.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities, sound judgment, practical and solution-oriented.
- Able to deliver insights and recommendations derived from the collection and analysis of data.
- Proactive, self-motivated, self-directed, and goal-driven with demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and think strategically.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude; able to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally.
- Ability to stay focused, highly organized, pay close attention to details, and produce reliable results.
- Adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment; can easily adapt to independent and collaborative workflows.
- Willing to support leadership’s decision and direction in a positive, professional, and cooperative manner.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside the area of expertise.
- Enjoys working as a team member as well as independently.
- Required: 2-3+ years of communications experience in the television, streaming, film, radio, podcast, gaming, sports, or other media-adjacent field.
- Required: Demonstrated success in producing earned media strategies, press placements, and integrated campaigns; experience working with influencers a plus
- Required: Project management, and experience working with project management software.
- Required: Strong writing and presentation skills with ability to produce clean written copy and well organized presentations.
- Required: Experience with the following software - Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and Google’s Workspace: Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides.
- Required: Strong project management skills, experience with Asana a plus.
- Required: Ability to travel at least twice annually.
- Preferred: Knowledge of Trendkite/Cison, Muck Rack, Burrelles, and other insight platforms.
- Preferred: passion for documentary film and a voracious appetite for all types of entertainment media.
This is an exempt position that offers a base salary of $70,000.00 with a robust benefits package.
It's important for you to know we love cover letters, they help us understand why you are interested in working at ITVS and they show us how you express yourself in writing. We will prioritize applicants who provide a cover letter.
ITVS aspires to make the online job application process accessible to any and all users.
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the application process, and would like to request assistance or accommodation, please contact us at jobs@ITVS.org
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any bias including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin.
Lastly, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
APPLY AT COMPANY SITE: https://itvs.org/about/jobs