Winner of more than 40 Emmy Awards, ITVS is public media’s leading incubator and presenter of documentary film. We partner with filmmakers who bring untold stories to public media to make a difference in the world. For over 25 years, we’ve been committed to diversity on both sides of the camera, helping filmmakers tell and share vital stories that are reflective of our society.
The person in this role reports to the Head, Business and Legal Affairs (BLA) and works as a member of a legal team that takes a collaborative approach with its internal and external business partners to help foster innovation in the documentary film space. This role handles a wide array of responsibilities related to the licensing, development, production and distribution of ITVS’ programming and the internal legal needs of the company. Responsibilities include: structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements necessary to license, develop and/or produce ITVS’ slate of high-profile documentaries, docu-series, and digital programming; managing rights and clearances issues; assisting supervising producers with a wide range of legal issues and questions as they arise; handling a variety of ITVS' day-to-day commercial agreements; corporate governance; policy development and compliance in a variety of practice areas, including privacy, document retention and recordkeeping, insurance, employment, public media, FCC, and accessibility regulations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Negotiate and draft agreements necessary to license, develop and/or produce ITVS’s slate of high-profile documentaries, docu-series, and digital programming.
- Deliver thoughtful, strategic, and proactive legal and business advice on a wide range of media issues related to contract interpretation, legal insights and negotiation strategies.
- Collaborate effectively with business partners and external legal counsel, proactively managing their respective priorities and expectations.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to understand and achieve key business objectives; balance potential legal, regulatory, and brand risks against multiple business objectives.
- Partner with the programming and production, marketing, and distribution teams to ensure that program legal deliverables comply with ITVS requirements, including reviewing copyright registrations, insurance policies, underlying rights acquisition agreements, funding agreements, and distribution agreements.
- Create and update contract templates and team playbooks;
- Support the development and maintenance of internal policies and guidelines and public-facing documents to implement best practices and ensure regulatory compliance with respect to privacy, document retention and recordkeeping, insurance, employment, public media, FCC, accessibility regulations, and other areas as needed.
- Conduct legal research as necessary and liaise with outside counsel as needed.
- Work with audience development and marketing teams to advise on legal issues and manage legal risks with respect to marketing materials and audience development activities.
- Act as a mentor to attorneys, legal interns and others in the department.
- Perform corporate governance duties, including assisting with Board meetings and reporting, managing reporting requirements to ITVS funders and other partners, and corporate recordkeeping.
- Fosters and cultivates a culture of care and a high commitment to quality informed by ITVS values.
- Contributes to culture by proactively participating in organization programs and staff events.
- Seeks and integrates constructive feedback to drive continuous improvement.
- Works collaboratively with peers and staff; builds relationships through effective and compassionate communication.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- A commitment to ITVS’ mission and an ability to apply sensitivity to a variety of social, economic, and cultural perspectives.
- Cares about principles associated with diversity, equity and inclusion; willing and wanting to support the voices and visions of underrepresented communities, and reflect the interests and concerns of a diverse society.
- Ability to drive execution in a team environment, integrating legal advice and business knowledge while providing balanced advice regarding risks and benefits.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude; superior telephone etiquette, verbal and written communication skills; clear and professional communicator.
- Adaptable to a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Ability to independently navigate difficult and complex issues.
- Possesses good judgment and strong analytical, client counseling, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to stay focused, highly organized and pay close attention to details, while juggling multiple projects effectively under deadlines.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise; intellectually curious.
- Enjoys working as a team member as well as independently.
- Willing to support leadership’s decision and direction in a positive, professional and cooperative manner. Good sense of humor is helpful too!
- Required: 4 years of licensing, development and/or production experience in television or film with direct experience drafting all forms of acquisition, licensing and production agreements.
- Required: Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Required: Current member in good standing of a State Bar with the ability to become barred or a registered in-house counsel in California.
- Required: Proficiency in using Google Workspace and Adobe programs.
- Preferred: Experience with Asana, Netsuite, and MFiles or similar legal document file keeping platforms.
- Preferred: Familiarity with the development, production, and multi-platform distribution of documentaries, docu-series, and digital programming, and/or financing and sales agency agreements. Prior non-legal experience in the film industry is a plus.
- Preferred: Fluency with related documents/issues (e.g., content acquisition, production services agreements, talent agreements, chain-of-title review, insurance) and/or experience negotiating television distribution agreements appreciated.
- Preferred: A broad understanding of television distribution (including digital distribution), and experience drafting and negotiating commercial and/or licensing agreements.
- Preferred: Operational background with experience advising film production and/ or marketing teams
- Preferred: Experience providing in-house support and managing outside counsel.
ITVS is a financial steward of public funds and committed to pay transparency, as well as providing equitable and competitive compensation for staff. For this role the pay range is $125,800 - $140,600 and all incumbent new hires base pay will begin at $125,800. This is an exempt position that pays an annual salary and includes a robust benefits package. Advancement in the pay range is dependent on advancement in the role.
Creativity, collaboration and building community are essential to ITVS’ long-term health and sustainability. Our goal is to provide a flexible hybrid model of in-person and remote work that supports individual productivity, teamwork, and an organizational culture fueled in part by being present with one another. To achieve this goal in-office attendance, of at least eight (8) days a month, is a requirement of working at ITVS.
It's important for you to know we love cover letters, they help us understand why you are interested in working at ITVS and they show us how you express yourself in writing. We will prioritize applicants who provide a cover letter.
ITVS aspires to make the online job application process accessible to any and all users.
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the application process, and would like to request assistance or accommodation, please contact us at jobs@ITVS.org
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any bias including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin.
Lastly, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Apply @ itvs.org/about/jobs/