KAXE, founded in 1976 in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, as the first rural public radio station in the nation, is seeking a motivated individual to help grow its membership and underwriting team with the hiring of a new Underwriting Sales Associate.We’re looking to strengthen connections within our communities by gaining new sponsors, cultivating existing partnerships, and growing our membership base.As an affiliate of National Public Radio, KAXE has built a loyal audience of listeners that have come to rely on the station for local and national news, original music programs, arts and culture, and information about weather, nature and their communities. The organization tells the stories of the people, places and events that make Northern Minnesota special.Our audience has changed. There is more competition and choices for news, information and music. The old adage of radio — “If you build it, they will come” — no longer works. We need to meet our corporate sponsors on the platforms they are using. The Underwriting Sales Associate will help foster in the next generation of community partnerships.Northern Community Radio is a nonprofit, community public broadcast organization, operating radio stations 91.7 FM KAXE Grand Rapids with a translator at 89.9 FM Brainerd, and 90.5 FM KBXE Bemidji, as well as kaxe.org.
SummaryUnder the supervision of the Development Director, this role will assist in securing underwriting and sponsorship of radio programming, KAXE events, and initiatives across digital products and multimedia platforms. The new hire will ensure messages are consistent with public broadcasting industry standards and KAXE’s branding.You will begin with an active account list and have a significant focus on developing new business. Each day will be a mix of engaging with existing clients and growing your account list through intelligent prospecting.We’re looking for someone who shares the same passion we have for our mission and who can convey our story to prospective new partners who value our station’s work.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, close, and maintain new and renewing community partners including cash and trade accounts for all forms of program distribution, including on-air, online, streaming, podcasts, events, and more
- Conduct in-person, online, and phone sales calls on behalf of the station
- Research, contact, and acquire potential clients; maintain accurate files for all contacts that are current, organized, and accessible to other station staff
- Meet or exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual sales goals
- Write effective underwriting copy in compliance with FCC guidelines and station policy; works with station staff to ensure timely and accurate broadcasting of all announcements
- Provide stewardship and customer service to all underwriting clients in a timely and professional manner
- Assist in developing strategies for digital initiatives with the goal of increasing engagement and expanding partnerships
- Generate monthly sales reports; monitor and forecast revenue
- Work respectfully with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Familiarity with KAXE’s radio programs
- Enthusiasm for KAXE’s mission
- Prior sales and/or fundraising experience a plus
- Highly motivated and able to develop new client relationships through personal initiative,networking and referrals from existing clients
- Time and priority management
- Proficiency with standard office productivity software such as Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Google Ad Manager or willingness to learn
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both in-person and online, with the ability to writeand present in a professional and motivating manner
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other team members
- Maintain a commitment to diversity, racial equity, and inclusion through continuous development,modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Work to ensure the success of the organization
- Participate in other station activities, including but not limited to station events and fundraising activities which may require working occasional weekends or evenings, or otherwise adjusting work hours to accommodate the needs of the job
What we’ll provide
- Investment in your professional growth through coaching, training and professional development.
- A collaborative environment where risk, innovation and growth are fostered.
- A commitment to continue and build upon our diversity, equity and inclusion work in content, staffing, board representation, and community partnerships.
Compensation and benefitsSalary range is $42,000-$48,000 per year based on experience. In addition to salary, KAXE offers a compensation package that includes the following benefits:
- Group health insurance.
- Company paid life insurance.
- 5% company paid SEP.
- Company paid cellphone service.
- Mileage reimbursement for approved work-related travel.
- 11 paid company holidays.
- 4 weeks annual paid time off.
About Northern Community RadioNorthern Community Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Our policy is to ensure equal employment opportunities in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines.Like all team members, the Underwriting Sales Associate will be expected to contribute to a work culture based upon respect, teamwork and collaboration.Our programs and employment are open to all. We value diversity and do not permit any discrimination against applicants, employees, or volunteers based on race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other status protected by applicable law or statute in any of our policies or programs. Northern Community Radio fosters a culture of inclusion with equity, honesty, diversity, visibility, creativity, and trust as core values.Position opened until filled.
Employment Portal: https://www.kaxe.org/underwriting-sales-associate