Executive Director, KOPN, Columbia, MO
KOPN 89.5 FM, a listener-supported community radio station in Columbia, MO, seeks candidates for the position of Executive Director.
On the air for 50 years, KOPN provides eclectic music, local news and talk, and syndicated programming from NPR, PRX, and Pacifica. KOPN is a CPB-qualified, FCC-licensed station owned and operated by the New Wave Corporation, a local 501(c)(3) organization. Broadcasting at 36,000 watts, KOPN serves an area of approximately 100 miles in diameter in central Missouri and streams online. Through a successful capital campaign, we have recently purchased and moved to an updated, accessible building with parking.
Located mid-way between Kansas City and St. Louis, Columbia is home to the flagship campus of the University of Missouri, Columbia College, and Stephens College. Columbia is a small city (population 127,000) with a strong economy rooted in education, research, healthcare, life-sciences, and high-tech industry. It has won recognition as a great place to live from the Carnegie Foundation and Forbes. Mid-Missouri offers numerous parks, trails, and outdoor activities and has a vibrant arts community that hosts annual film, art, and music series and festivals.
The Executive Director is responsible (directly and, as appropriate, with staff support) and accountable for overall administration, finance, compliance with all relevant legal and other requirements, development and fundraising, personnel, programming, community outreach, and technical operations of the station. The Executive Director manages a small paid staff and a large corps of volunteers and reports to the New Wave Corporation (NWC) Board of Directors.
This is a full-time salaried, FSLA exempt position that requires some evening and weekend hours.
The starting salary of $52,000 is negotiable based on qualifications and experience and provides ample opportunity for performance-based incentives.
Benefits: Paid time-off for vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Post-secondary education or training in a related field and relevant professional experience such as work involving not-for-profit management, technical sound/audio design, communications, media or arts management. Extensive relevant experience may be considered as a substitute for education.
- Supervisory experience and familiarity with volunteer-powered organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational skills, and computer literacy.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks or other accounting software and experience with customer relationship management software.
- Ability to collaborate constructively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Willingness and ability to learn pertinent technical skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, both creative and practical.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional ethics and to meeting deadlines.
- Possess a valid driver's license and access to a dependable, insured vehicle.
- The ability to read, write, understand, and speak Spanish is desirable (not required).
A detailed position description can be found at https://www.kopn.org/jobs/ Potential applicants should consult that document for more specific information about duties and qualifications, and for application instructions.
Deadline: Open until filled
KOPN is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity.
or mail/deliver to: KOPN Exec Dir Search, 401 Bernadette Dr, Columbia, MO 65203-1126