Community Radio Station KRBD is the heart and voice of Southern Southeast Alaska. A staple of the community for over 40 years, KRBD strives to inform, educate, entertain and engage our listeners, while moving forward into the 21st century. Times and technology are changing but quality programming is forever. You have an opportunity to lead a seasoned, dynamic staff and a committed core of volunteers into the future.
Rainbird Community Broadcasting, Inc., is seeking an innovative visionary for the position of General Manager. This position will lead and manage KRBD through strategic planning, budget oversight, and collaboration with multiple agencies and will grow the financial support required to ensure sustainability. The position also will be responsible for development and fundraising responsibilities through a board-led reorganization plan. We are looking for someone dedicated to serving the interests of our community and goals of the organization; someone who has grand ideas grounded in reality and efficiency; someone who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
Salary range is $66,000 - $76,000, depending on experience. We offer a competitive benefits package including health and life insurance, and retirement. This is a full time, exempt position.
Our ideal candidate will –
- Be passionate about public media and invested in Alaska and Ketchikan.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field and/or equivalent experience.
- Be highly self-motivated and able to self-direct to fulfill position requirements.
- Engage, support, motivate and team-build with the staff and volunteers.
- Work to maintain and build partnerships throughout Ketchikan, Southeast Alaska and the state.
- Look to the future and innovate with technology and marketing.
- Possess an optimistic, inspirational and motivational style of management.
- Have a demonstrated ability in planning and implementing organizational goals as well as managing multiple large projects effectively.
- Have experience in effective business planning and management of complex budgets with multiple funding sources.
- Work collaboratively with a working, hands-on Board of Directors.
- Embrace the station’s Mission Statement, using it to guide decisions.
- Build relationships with organizations and individuals throughout the community, with the ability to communicate effectively with board members, colleagues, listeners, stakeholders, and community leaders.
- Be a dedicated, caring individual who wants to join forces with other dedicated, caring individuals.
As the General Manager of a small station in a small town, on a large island in Southeast Alaska, your duties will be many and varied. You will be responsible to the KRBD Board of Directors for the overall management of the station, work with the Board in developing policies, and will be responsible for enacting those policies. Some of your primarily responsibilities include –
Leading the charge for soliciting funds for KRBD, including:
- membership pledge drives
- direct mail campaigns
- grant funding
- special events fundraising
- Establishing and maintaining underwriting contracts to meet or exceed goals.
- Maintaining FCC and CPB compliance.
- Budget development and management, including working with regional staff to implement cost-saving measures and operational efficiencies.
- Innovating new services and fundraising opportunities.
- Hiring and supervising staff in accordance with Board policies.
- Providing representation of the CoastAlaska Management Advisory Committee.
- Management of KRBD facilities including studios and office building, transmitter, translators and associated properties.
- Administering grants and contracts with federal, state and other agencies.
- Representing KRBD to industry organizations and the public.
- Providing outreach to local and tribal government entities.
- Cultivating connections throughout the community to engage listeners and supporters.
- Coordinating volunteers to further the goals of community engagement.
The “skinny” on us:
KRBD is a member of CoastAlaska, Inc., a regional non-profit public broadcasting organization consisting of six member stations. CoastAlaska provides administrative, financial, development, engineering and technical support services to member stations. KRBD is locally owned and operated by Rainbird Community Broadcasting, Inc., with support from CoastAlaska. KRBD is a member of National Public Radio and Alaska Public Media. The station enjoys strong community support and has many volunteers providing content and assisting in fundraising activities. KRBD also serves as the LP1 for our listening area and we sit at the table of our Local Emergency Planning Committee, LEPC. Public safety for island communities such as ours is of the utmost importance.
Located in the heart of the Tongass National Forest on Revillagigedo Island in Southern Southeast Alaska, Ketchikan is a town of roughly 13,000 people, city and borough combined. KRBD’s total listening audience extends to neighboring communities including Metlakatla on Annette Island, and Craig, Klawock, Hydaburg, Thorne Bay, and Hollis on Prince of Wales Island via translators serving an additional 5,000 people and an entire maritime fishing and shipping fleet.
As a temperate rain forest, the moderate temperatures of the Tongass produce lush foliage and allow for fantastic outdoor opportunities in fishing, hunting, camping, boating and hiking nearly year-round. The lushness comes from, on average, 150 inches of precipitation per year. Ketchikan is home to a thriving arts and music community, with great schools and a booming tourism industry. We also have a US Coast Guard base protecting the waters of the Inside Passage, and a world-renowned fishing industry supported by numerous canneries. Ketchikan is also a shipping hub for many surrounding communities, as well as a regional medical hub for southern Southeast Alaska.
Rainbird Community Broadcasting, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Want to learn more about this dynamic community? Check out these links:
Have we piqued your interest? Send us an email telling us why you are the right candidate for KRBD to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a cover letter, your resume, references, and any other materials or links to your work you would like us to consider. The position is open until filled.