Position Title: KRVS: General Manager, KRVS
Department: 83001|KRVS Radio Station
The General Manager will report to the Director of Campus Auxiliary Services and is responsible for delivering the strategic intent of KRVS, a 100,000-watt, university-licensed public radio station operating on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. KRVS has a long-term connection to the culture, language, and music of south Louisiana. We seek a culturally fluent and well-developed leader, with both breadth and depth, who will help us:
· Continue to diversify and develop our staff, programming, and audience.
· Navigate the changing media landscape and grow our presence and impact throughout the region.
· Continue to strengthen our staff, organizational resiliency, and organizational sustainability.
We will consider candidates who most clearly reflect the following:
Leadership and Vision
A powerful leader who collaboratively builds and compellingly communicates a vision for KRVS, community engagement, and continued growth in revenues. An energetic, externally focused individual with a high level of emotional intelligence, who will help KRVS become an even more significant organization that remains financially healthy and increases its service to the south Louisiana region. We seek a leader with:
· Demonstrated ability to listen to and communicate with diverse stakeholders.
· An open leadership style and is an effective decision-maker and agent for change.
· Comfort with risk.
· Ability to provide clear direction and accountability for organizational results.
· A future orientation; able to see and understand trends in media and related fields and their potential impact or opportunities for the organization.
· Knowledge about and the ability to lead the transition from analog to digital media.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
A record of strong commitment to and results in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the workplace, in audiences, and in communities served. We seek a leader with:
· A high level of expertise in DEI best practices including understanding and addressing implicit bias and microaggression, creating an inclusive workplace, and promotion of civility.
· Cultural fluency, awareness, and empathy; demonstrated respect for the values of others, treats all people as individuals, sees and uses different perspectives, and has experience in other cultures.
· Expertise in diversity-focused hiring practices from position announcements to recruiting and interviewing.
· Understanding and effectiveness at growing and maintaining inclusion and a sense of belonging across organizations.
· Demonstrated evidence of being able to adapt leadership style to current context and realities.
People and Team Management
Inspiring, respectful, collaborative, and highly competent manager of people and teams. We seek a leader with:
· Ability to create and maintain an effective, aligned, and cross-functional culture of engaged professionals.
· Ability to adjust their leadership style as needed, collaborating, enrolling, delegating, and directing as required by the situation.
· Skilled at managing conflict, both limiting unhealthy and encouraging healthy conflict; knowledgeable of and intentional about the practice of conflict management.
· The desire to and practice of seeking input from staff and is comfortable with being respectfully challenged.
Financial Acumen and Integrity
Experienced and competent financial manager with the ability to help the staff in all departments increase their financial literacy. We seek a leader with:
· Advanced business knowledge with the ability to deal with complex financial environments and balancing multiple financial priorities.
· Success in developing budgets and use of the budget to hold the organization accountable.
· Experience with forecasting cash flows and planning for needed capital upgrades in facilities and technology.
· The ability to clearly explain complex business situations to the staff, the Board, and the public.
· The ability to conceive of and develop alternative revenue streams.
Highly developed public and private interpersonal skills. We seek a leader with:
· Skill and experience being an articulate and effective spokesperson for the organization and is comfortable being the public face of the station.
· A record of being an organized thinker, effective writer, and speaker.
· A record of empathic listening.
Skillful at establishing and building relationships with leaders throughout Southern Louisiana. We seek a leader with:
· The ability to continue to grow KRVS's presence in Southern Louisiana through developing appropriate relationships with community leaders; will over a short period of time become an active participant and recognized leader in the region.
· A record of community engagement and collaboration and of developing partnerships with individuals and organizations.
· A high level of energy for visiting stakeholders across the region, as well as authentic enthusiasm for all of Southern Louisiana in its geographic and demographic diversity.
· Ability to maintain our strong relationship with National Public Radio and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
Effective fundraiser with demonstrated expertise in fundraising and resource development; excited about building resources for KRVS. We seek a leader with:
· Experience in asking for donations.
· Experience in developing and leading capital campaigns.
· A comprehensive understanding of fundraising strategies and methods in public media including membership, business sponsorship, and major and planned giving.
· Successful experience in securing major gifts through effective relationship development through the sharing of mission and needs.
A strong leader with success in facilitating the process of change within the organization, in particular the ongoing transformation of public media consumption. We seek a leader with:
· The ability to understand the impact of culture on change efforts and to be able to successfully navigate cultural change.
· The ability to prioritize and sequence appropriate change.
· The ability to assess and adopt innovative models.
· The ability to recognize opportunities even as significant challenges arise.
<<External vacancy description>>
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Radio General Manager or Market Manager. Large or major market experience preferred. Prior experience in both Sales and Programming preferred.
· Proven leadership. Experience leading, developing and recruiting a team. Managing onsite Human Resources while working with corporate HR.
· Fluent in reading company created financial reports. Ability to maintain and develop revenue and ratings systems for additional analysis of Sales and Programming.
· Strength and experience in thinking independently. Problem solving skills are critical for the General Manager in Sales, Programming and HR.
· Comfort and confidence in meeting with clients, prospects, community leaders and other media management.
Job Ad# (req1562)