Purpose/General Description of Position
The Operations Manager is responsible for the operations of Santa Fe Public Radio, including ensuring continuous FM broadcasts, coordinating programming, maintaining IT and broadcast systems, and overseeing compliance with FCC regulations and other legal requirements.
- Oversees the continuous broadcast operations of the radio station. Serves as Chief Operator: maintains station logs, prepares quarterly Programs & Issues Lists, ensures compliance with FCC rules and regulations.
- Oversees program delivery, including scheduling daily playlists in ENCO DAD automation software. Manage station traffic in Marketron’s Radio Traffic software, ensuring the inclusion of all necessary program files, underwriting announcements, promos, and PSAs. Monitor program delivery through the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS), PRX, and other methods.
- Coordinate technical repair of broadcast equipment, IT equipment, and station facilities. Interface and coordinate with Santa Fe Community College Facilities staff and tower site owners. Manage technicians and contractors.
- Administer IT and web systems, including Internet audio streams, office computers, station website, donor management software, organization email system, VOIP phone system, and other critical systems.
- Facilitate on-air fund drives and other fundraising campaigns.
- Maintain annual budget for maintenance of improvement of technical infrastructure, manage capital improvement projects as necessary.
- Provide training for station staff and volunteers in radio operations, recording techniques, audio editing in Adobe Audition, and basic Mac and PC computer skills.
- Other duties as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of public radio principles, procedures, operations and standards.
- Knowledge of Federal Communications Commission regulations and other legal requirements applicable to non-commercial radio stations.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of broadcast engineering, including familiarity with FM transmitters, analog and digital studio-to-transmitter links, analog and digital audio, wireless networks, microprocessors, and component-level electronics repair.
- Expert ability in the use of Mac and PC computers.
- Experience administering office IT and computer systems.
- Expert ability in Adobe Audition and other applicable audio editing software.
- Experience with radio automation and traffic software (ENCO DAD and Marketron’s Radio Traffic).
- Highly developed interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of current and developing trends in broadcasting and new media production.
- Management experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technical concepts and skills independently.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot technical issues with software and hardware.
- Ability to teach technical skills in an accessible manner, with patience.
- Previous experience in a non-profit setting preferred.
Three years of experience in radio broadcast operations and RF engineering.
Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24/7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours. Travel may be required to perform work at remote broadcast locations. Ability to safely lift up to 50lbs.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).