KUER is looking for a curious and engaging journalist to serve as host and board operator during morning drive-time programming, "Morning Edition.” As one of the station’s main on-air personalities, this person works with the news director and station manager to shape the editorial direction, promotion strategy and sound of the station’s morning drive daypart. The host adheres to deadlines and, in concert with appropriate staff, makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention. They follow the station programming log, deliver weather forecasts and write and anchor multiple newscasts per day (including material contributed by KUER news staff). The host also identifies, produces and edits engaging two-way interviews for local “Morning Edition.” The Morning Edition team includes a producer who assists with content production and serves as the fill-in host as necessary.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills and an understanding of public radio and radio broadcasting
- Sound news judgment and knowledge of journalistic best practices
- A portfolio demonstrating strong hosting, interviewing, broadcast and digital writing and audio production skills
- 3-5 years experience in public radio, radio broadcasting and AP Style
- 3 years experience as an on-air announcer and host, with experience in board operation, newscast production and conducting interviews
- Deep knowledge of local, national and international news. Knowledge of Utah news preferred
- Familiarity with broadcast systems (i.e. Wide Orbit and Content Depot) and news software (i.e. Burli, AP products)
- Strong on-air presence compatible with NPR aesthetics
- Experience with editing and mixing on digital audio software (Audition, ProTools, etc.)
- Excellent communicator, team player and problem solver with demonstrated human relations skills
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high-quality journalism
- Willingness to learn, grow and innovate
- Demonstrated commitment to including diverse voices and lived experiences in our community that broaden perceptions and find common ground
- Comfort with an early hours schedule
- Strong commitment to the editorial process
- Serves as primary local host and personality behind KUER and NPR’s morning drive-time program, “Morning Edition.” Also hosts additional morning programming as directed.
- Anchors live breaks and newscasts and creates pre-produced content.
- Writes, produces and delivers on-air newscasts with contributions from KUER news staff and support from the Morning Edition producer. Produces on-demand newscasts with producer.
- Reports stories in appropriate forms for broadcast (live on-air, copy, actuality, cut & copy, studio two-way, wrap, feature, series, documentary, etc.)
- Selects and researches topics; contacts and interviews sources; maintains notes and audio recordings with support from the Morning Edition producer.
- Produces, conducts and edits two-way interviews for broadcast and online, in conjunction with the Morning Edition producer and newsroom editorial team.
- Participates in regular newsroom editorial meetings, one-on-one check-ins, airchecks and station meetings.
- Participates in KUER fund drives and promotion, and represents KUER at community/station events.
- Ensures that all work meets NPR News and KUER standards for accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality, including the station’s Standards of Integrity document.
- Other duties as assigned.
Apply on-line through the University of Utah at https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/137656