Louisville Public Media, a dynamic and growing public media company, seeks a News Editor to lead a motivated group of reporters in a community with a competitive civic news environment.
You’re a leader who thrives on providing clear expectations and deadlines on everything from breaking news to special projects. You’re curious, and you care about why the news happens. You seek opportunities to uplift moments of joy across all of our beats and within our culture. This is the job for you.
We believe local journalism should prioritize equity, hold power to account and connect audiences with civic life. It should feed curiosity and spark exploration. And it should represent the communities it serves, both in diversity of coverage and staff.
Working under the WFPL News Director, the News Editor is responsible for leading a team of beat reporters and shaping the newsroom’s coverage across those beats on all platforms. They will ensure the station can and does adeptly deliver breaking news, enterprise reporting and special projects that reveals the complexities and intersections of the issues and institutions that make Louisville what it is. They will manage a team of up to four reporters with various beats. We’re looking for someone who balances editing and management, who is willing to share what they know and learn what they don’t.
The News Editor will work closely with the City Editor, LPM’s Managing Editor of Collaboratives and other LPM news leaders to ensure timely storytelling that prioritizes our audience. This position works a Tuesday-Saturday schedule.
What You’ll Do
- Foster an environment of diversity, equity and inclusion that upholds the organization’s values and strategic goals
- Direct daily and long-term coverage for reporters, using informed decision-making and good news judgment, strong editorial guidance and management skills
- Conduct regular planning meetings for the team and one-on-one meetings with individual reporters to discuss coverage, ideas and goals
- Edit daily copy and audio from team’s reporters for all platforms
- Be willing to step in, if needed, to report on breaking news
- Be willing to assist reporters from other teams when needed
- Coordinate with News Director, City Editor and other news leaders to ensure timely, coordinated coverage that puts the audience’s interests at the forefront
- Use social media for listening, sourcing, engagement and distribution
- Work with News Director in hiring reporters
What We’ll Do
- Compensate you at a range of $65,000 to $72,000 annually
- Invest in your professional growth through individual direction and training
- Keep you connected with our industry through conferences and professional associations
- Provide you an excellent benefits package that includes paid time off, health insurance and 401(k)
- Invite you into a culture that is supportive, transparent, experimental and accountable
- Minimum of 5 years of professional journalism experience
- Experience as an editor or supervising producer, or relevant experience
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment
- Proven ability to work in a fast-moving news environment and a willingness to take creative risks
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in both news coverage and the team you manage
- Broad interests in news, investigative journalism, public policy and arts and culture
If this is you, send a resume, three references and three work samples (stories or projects you’ve edited, or your three best clips as a reporter) to email@example.com, and complete this simple Google Form instead of a cover letter. For audio work samples, please provide links (SoundCloud, podcasts, or other hosted audio), not attachments via email as your application may not be received.
Louisville Public Media is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in its workplace and offers an excellent benefits package.