2023 KHNS Job Opening: Fulltime News Reporter
KHNS Public Radio seeks an energetic and committed news reporter. This is a full time positio.. The news reporter serves under the direct supervision of the General Manager and is responsible for news broadcasts and assisting in overall news production. News reporters help coach the morning news host.
Anyone who likes outdoor activities will find a home in Haines. Flanked by glaciers and snow-capped mountains, and sliced with multiple river systems, the Chilkat Valley is an outdoor lover's dream. Backcountry skiing and snowboarding, ice climbing, snowshoeing, hiking, biking, berry picking, salmon fishing, canoeing, packrafting, kayaking and camping will be available in your backyard. An annual beer festival, the Southeast Alaska State Fair, an international bike relay and other events attract visitors and athletes from across Alaska and Canada.
For a small town, the cultural offerings are varied, and the community has a vibrant arts scene. The Chilkat Center for the Arts hosts regular community theater productions, film screenings and music events. Haines hosts the Southeast Alaska State Fair and Beerfest, as well having both a local distillery and brewery. In addition, Haines is a 35-minute flight to Juneau, with road access to Whitehorse, Canada.
Wages: Ranges from $40,000 to $45,000 DOE. This is a full time position with reimbursable health insurance, holiday pay, sick leave, four day work week and a SEP IRA match.
- Research, write and produce news and feature stories;
- Host live and pre-recorded news broadcasts, breaking news and special news coverage
- Assist in maintaining lively social media and website presence with news content
- Maintain news archives and story files, audio and field equipment
- Assist in fund drives as needed
- Work with interns and volunteers
- Coverage of government, school board and other public interest meetings
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Reporter and/or Manager
- Reporting experience - Demonstrated skills in researching, reporting, news writing, interviewing and story production
- Commitment to independent media with knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of news reporting
- Ability to work under strict deadlines
- Ability to work effectively alone and in collaboration with a variety of people, both in groups and one-to-one. Enjoys working in small office environment
- Proven ability in organization and time management
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including early mornings
- Enjoys and is comfortable engaging with the public
- Knowledge of Alaska and local and regional issues and interests
- Experience with social media and preparing news for website
- Strong on-air presence and audio production experience
- Experience with live hosting, news broadcasting and talk or call-in show production
About KHNS and our communities:
KHNS was started in 1980 as community radio for the Upper Lynn Canal in Southeast Alaska. KHNS has studios in Haines and Skagway, but our news team currently works out of Haines, with frequent trips to Skagway. Our station is small but strong and has a committed base of volunteers, members and listeners. KHNS Local News is an integral part of our station’s programming. We collaborate with other media and public radio stations around the state. KHNS is a member station of NPR and Alaska Public Media.
KHNS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. KHNS is committed to nondiscrimination based on sex, race, creed, religion, national origin, color, disability, marital status, sexual orientation and gender variance for the purpose of service, employment, membership or leadership, including staff, volunteers, board and persons who re
Email resume, letter of interest, references and three work samples (including at least one audio sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Reporter search” in subject line. No phone calls, please.
First review of applicants will be November 30th, 2023, but we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.