Under the direction of the Vice President and General Manager, Public Television, the Chief of Television Engineering develops and prepares planning, grant, and budget documents of the station; coordinates the filing of license applications; establishes contacts with government regulatory and legislative officials; oversees assigned staff including scheduling and time sheet authorization; collaborates with administration to develop future transmission, engineering, and production technology strategies; and stays updated with broadcast systems knowledge and design. Work requires the use of independent judgment working from broad institutional and department policies and general objectives.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Television Engineering Staff Oversight: Delegates assignments to all television engineering, production and operations staff. Coordinates work schedules including scheduling, approval of leave and pay authorization. Evaluates personnel levels in accordance with budgetary requirements.
- Television Operations Direction: Reviews, revises and documents established procedures and develops new operational systems as needed. Investigates and provides recommendations for the solution of engineering and operations systems problems. Supervises engineering systems design and broadcast equipment evaluations. Directs engineers, technicians, and other staff in the maintenance and installation of Milwaukee PBS equipment and technical systems.
- Budget and Purchasing Management: Creates and manages the station’s capital budget and engineering operations budget. Gathers information and recommendations from the engineering teams and other stakeholders, obtains quotes, and writes proposals and bid specification documents for the purchase of television equipment. Maintains support contracts for all critical systems and purchases supplies and other required equipment for technical operations. Tracks all purchases and approves invoices.
- Stakeholder Relationship Optimization: Manages and acts as liaison to MATC Construction Services’ department for remodeling projects and improvements to the station’s technical facilities. Coordinates and collaborates with Television and Video Production and eProduction programs for equipment purchases and technical advice. Acts as liaison to satellite and cable providers including Spectrum Cable, Dish Network, DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse, etc. to resolve local engineering issues.
- FCC and Regulations Enforcement: Enforces and manages FCC rules and regulations relevant to transmission engineering and Emergency Alert System (EAS). Acts as FCC Chief Operator. Maintains continuance of station licenses, renews required licenses, maintains contacts with regulatory agencies, and provides guidance on required technical and regulatory procedures. Assists in preparation and filing of required FCC/CPB/PBS reports.
- Broadcast Oversight: Oversees scheduling of station facilities for both internal and external clients. Manages C-Band and Ku-Band television satellite uplink transmission facilities. Collaborates with station administration to develop current and future television broadcast and ATSC 3.0 transmission strategies.
- End User Support and Education: Uses current knowledge of VHF/UHF television reception to assist station viewers with reception issues. Supports public education of technical changes to local broadcasting and digital technology advances at the station and in the market.
- Cross Functional Relationships and Collaborative Teamwork: Establishes, maintains, and enhances positive work relationships with staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Leadership and Supervision: Develops and manages high performing team highly skilled and motivated staff focused on the delivery of quality and value-added services, and allocates cross-functional responsibilities and work processes. Responsibilities include hiring, coaching/mentoring, performance management, and progressive discipline as needed.
- Continuous Learning & Professional Development: Maintains current knowledge of best practices and standards in higher education with an emphasis on community colleges. Actively organizes and/or participates in applicable workgroups, trainings, workshops, seminars, committees and professional associations or conferences to promote continuous learning.
- Other duties: Performs other related duties within the scope of the position as required for the efficient operation of the division and to support institutional objectives.
Compliance with all state, federal, and accreditation standards/requirements, as well as all MATC policies and procedures.
Required Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Television Broadcasting and/or Engineering or related field and (7) seven years of experience with a minimum of (3) three years in a supervisory role at a major market television station.
Preferred Education & Experience: Master’s degree with an emphasis in Television Broadcasting and/or Engineering or related field and (4) four years of experience with a minimum of (2) two years in a supervisory role at a major market television station.
Preferred Licensure/Certification: FCC General Radiotelephone License or SBE Certification.
Access application at www.Milwaukeepbs.org/careers OR www.schooljobs.com/careers/matc search Chief Television Engineer