Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the full-time Associate Producer or Producer for Minnesota Now, you will work closely with the hosts and other producers on a daily live magazine show that airs at noon weekdays on MPR News. Your role supports the booking, production and digital presentation of the program. Alongside the rest of the production team, you will be expected to pitch ideas for segments, book guests, edit interviews, direct the live show and ensure Minnesota Now content is reaching digital audiences. You may also be asked to work with reporters, editors and others across the newsroom to serve radio and digital audiences.
MPR News remains committed to local broadcasts and to providing a space for Minnesotans to gather and share their lives. We’re looking for a producer who is devoted to elevating local voices and local stories. You understand the urgent need to practice more equitable journalism and are committed to collaborating with the entire newsroom to do so.
Minnesota is approaching 20 percent Black, Indigenous and People of Color and the Twin Cities metro area is approaching 30 percent BIPOC. We need conversations and reporting that reflect our population.
Your role is primarily dedicated to producing Minnesota Now, but you could be asked to work for any MPR News program.
Compensation Range: Associate Producer | $22.74-$32.37 / hour. Producer | $26.49-$33.89 / hour . Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: November 29, 2021
- Coordinate guest bookings and technical requirements for remote studio connections
- Contribute ideas for future broadcasts
- Locate, contact, pre-interview, evaluate guests; book guests and confirm bookings
- Direct shows, manage control room, set rundown timing and coordinate with remote guests
- Write promos, scripts and edit and fact-check copy
- Prepare audio for podcast, digital presentation and re-broadcast
- Research sources/guests for background and context
- Rewrite copy for accuracy and clarity
- Support hosts and prepare research notes for hosts
- Greet and interact with live studio guests
- Coordinate special projects
- Edit pre-recorded interviews and prepare audio from live shows for podcast
- Contribute to show’s digital presence and look for opportunities to play up certain interviews online
- Support other MPR News programs and special programming as needed
- Coordinate the work of interns
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience in journalism, broadcasting, or related field
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy and fairness
- Ability to advocate for the show, work collaboratively with editors and reporters can step in to replace the producer with editorial guidance
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture
- Knowledge of new media applications for digital distribution, audience engagement and community networking
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervisory
- Knowledge of overarching tasks, and ability to perform the full spectrum of tasks associated with a show and program
- Ability to react to breaking news, changing situations, and changing the program accordingly
- Ability to direct and motivate interns and Assistant Producers
- Ability to prioritize communication in terms of problems and changes occurring
- Skill and experience in field production
- Knowledge of recent history of shows, and a thorough understanding of the vision for the show
- Solid judgment and skills around sources and topics
- Deep knowledge of news and current events
- Proficient broadcast writing skills
- Digital editing skills
- Basic field production skills
- Attention to details and the ability to work in a time-sensitive environment
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish, Somali, Hmong or other languages commonly used in Minnesota
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation and work remotely until a timeline has been determined for a safe return to the office.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.