Application instructions for this and all current OPB employment opportunities are available at OPB's careers page.
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
We’re recruiting for a Payroll Accountant! This position supports a dedicated, on-site finance team by providing excellent internal customer service. We’re looking for someone with strong skills in analysis, problem resolution, organization and who is energized by a fast-paced working environment. If this sounds like you, we would love to see you apply!
This position is responsible for processing payroll and preparation of related journal entries and account reconciliations.
45% - Manage the processing and reporting of payroll using networked accounting software and an outside payroll service. Assist employees with payroll related issues including auditing past pay and resolving discrepancies.
20% - Reconciliation and payment of benefit invoices. Identify discrepancies and process appropriate corrections.
20% - Prepare monthly payroll journal entries. Reconcile P/R tax accounts and review quarterly and annual payroll tax returns. Prepare and assist with year-end journal entries for payroll and vacation accruals
15% - Other (special projects, back-up other functions, assist with preparation for annual audits, provide information to VP/P&C related to labor relations matters, etc.).
This position spends the majority of time in the office with extensive use of a computer and telephone. Some overtime may be required to meet deadlines. This position works during OPB’s office hours (8 AM – 5PM), Monday through Friday.
- Four years of relevant accounting experience, including two years as a payroll accountant or a similar role (degree in accounting may substitute for some experience).
- Strong understanding of statutory payroll reporting requirements and general accounting principles.
- Experience preparing journal entries and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Proven skills in analysis, problem resolution, and organization.
- Knowledge and experience with an outside payroll service, integrated accounting software, spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced working environment, able to handle a high volume of responsibilities, take initiative and balance multiple priorities with speed, accuracy and meticulous attention to detail and follow-through.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to appropriately handle highly confidential information and interactions.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, make non-routine decisions, and solve problems that arise within the scope of work.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the services and mission of OPB.
- Experience with ADP’s Workforce Now
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- CPP certification
- Experience with labor relations/human resources
- This position reports to the Accounting Director and is benefits eligible.
- The probable hiring range for this non-exempt position is between the annual equivalent of $60,000-73,300 annually, depending on qualifications.
- For the safety of our employees, the contractors/vendors we work with, and the public we serve, OPB has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
- This position has access to highly sensitive data and therefore must pass a background check.
For application instructions, please visit OPB's careers page. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
This position is open until filled.
OPB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.