PBS Kansas Education & Discovery Center
Family Learning Associate Job Description
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products
- High school diploma/GED
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Wage - $10.00 per hour
The Family Learning Associate Part-time Position will support and report to the Director of Education in facilitating activities and supporting families in the PBS Kansas Cochener-Garvey Children’s Education & Discovery Center.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Set up and clean the Center (sanitize, tidy, arrange books, arrange train set, clean craft area, vacuum, monitor supplies, etc.).
- Greet all visitors and, if they are new, give them an overview of the Center. Thank visitors as they leave.
- Interact with children and adults at the different Discovery Stations, especially the Video Creation Station, the Coding Station, and the Makerspace.
- Help support special activities, such as the Makey Makey kits, science experiments, studio tours, etc.
- Set up activities (forts, videos, sample crafts, etc.).
- Support the Education Director with administrative tasks, such as making copies, database entry, supporting contests, and assembling Kids Club welcome packs.
- Come up with fun ideas for crafts and STEAM activities using PBS KIDS and other resources.
The Family Learning Associate will be trained on all activities and tasks. The Family Learning Associate must agree to the guidelines established for volunteers in the center, which detail safe interaction with children. The Family Learning Associate will have a 15-minute break (agreed upon time) during the shift.
The Family Learning Associate will not be paid for station holidays.
The Family Learning Associate will have 30-day probationary period at which time you will receive a 30- day review. Then a performance review at 3 months, 6 months and then annually.