Title : Producer, Politics and White House
Status : Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Sr Producer, Politics
The Producer, Politics and White House will work closely with the White House correspondent and politics team on daily reporting and segment production for the PBS NewsHour, the national evening news program on PBS and its associated digital platforms. This producer will attend briefings, book guests, find video elements for reports, supervise live hits and producer featured field stories. This producer will also play a key role in 2024 election coverage, including traveling with candidates and to talk to voters, covering debates, conventions and election night. This producer will also participate in advance and strategic planning for political coverage. This position is covered under Sag AFTRA.
- Daily reporting on the White House and other major political events as assigned
- Offer timely coverage ideas during editorial planning meetings.
- Develop, research, share in writing scripts and produce through to air both breaking and feature on-air stories that relate to ongoing developments with the Administration, 2024 elections and related events
- Flexibly work in the field, in the hybrid newsroom or the studio as needed.
- Contribute to the PBS NewsHour website and strategic planning for online coverage
- Managing and mentoring junior producers and staff on assignments and projects.
- Participate in special projects and perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Deep knowledge and enthusiasm for covering politics and elections.
- Appreciation of the highest journalistic standards practiced at top news outlets including the PBS NewsHour
- Experience producing network quality reports, for day of air and longer form feature stories
- Experience covering national politics for major television, web or newspaper, with an emphasis on television/video production experience. Experience producing live shot and breaking news experience preferred.
- Experience with shooting and editing on Avid, Final Cut, or Adobe preferred.
- Experience contributing text and video content to digital publication and social media
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced newsroom setting and to adjust smoothly to changing assignments under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and demonstrated writing skills with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, team work, project planning and time management skills. Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience in broadcast and/or digital journalism, to include high quality video production.
- Experience covering news, preferably political news, for a major publication, digital or television outlet.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WETA/NewsHour Productions is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. Fostering a culture of mutual respect is a top priority and something we take very seriously.
Employment at WETA/NewsHour Productions is based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, age, ethnicity or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sex (including pregnancy), physical, mental or sensory ability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to demonstrating fair and equitable systems, practices, and processes related to how we recruit, develop, retain, promote, reward, compensate, and terminate talent.
We know that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is fundamental to the success of our business and our people, and we will continue to recognize it as part of our guiding principles.