Senior Software and Experience Engineer
Reports to our Director, Product
Founded in 1961, WETA is the leading public broadcasting station in Washington, DC. Throughout our sixty-year history, WETA continues to expand our educational, cultural, news and public affairs impact through television programming, streaming, news, radio, student journalism, and community programs.
As a PBS and NPR member, WETA provides local and national television programs and services. WETA has been part of the production of the PBS NewsHour (first named “The Robert MacNeil Report” and then “The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer”) since its creation in 1973. PBS NewsHour is recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all through our nightly, one-hour broadcast reaching more than 300 PBS stations and 98 percent of the nation’s television households. Washington Week is our highly acclaimed weekly roundtable broadcast discussing current events with Washington, DC based journalists. With a continued focus on balanced journalism, PBS NewsHour sponsors the PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs connecting students with a network of public broadcasting mentors and an innovative journalism curriculum. WETA Classical Radio was founded in 1970 and provides commercial free classical music locally through its FM stations and globally via streaming.
The Software Engineer and Experience Engineer will work with the digital team to design, build and test PBS NewsHour Productions digital products and services.
- Collaborate with team to build a wide range of front and back-end applications and experiences
- Design user interfaces and experiences
- Prepare wireframes and concepts
- Follow UI/UX best practices and principles
- Develop MVC-based web applications and REST APIs from the ground-up
- Support production applications
- Explore emerging technologies and services and assist with developing strategy for digital products
- Build rich interactive user interfaces using modern JS frameworks
- Running applications practices such as automated builds, deployments, and tests
- Active participation in agile activities
- Ensure high quality by writing unit tests, fixing bugs and improving system performance and reliability
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related experience
- Proven backend development experience
- Proven UX/UI design experience
- Strong understanding of web performance practices
- Strong understanding of cloud computing services, preferably with AWS
- Proficiency in coding with modern programming languages
- Strong DevOps experience, preferably with AWS
- Experience working with multiple common data formats and web service architectures
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Knowledge of front-end web design guidelines
- Knowledge of emerging technologies
- Solid understanding of version control principles
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 5-10 years of software engineering experience
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.