Join the Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting team as a Part-time Fill-in Producer for Morning Edition. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a community organization that distributes trusted content, builds connections and strengthens our communities through public media.
In this position, you will assist the Morning Edition Host with program preparation, newscasts, interviews, and other duties. The work hours will vary as this position is needed to fill-in for vacation schedules or urgent situations. This part-time position reports to the Vice President, Broadcasting.
- Identify, write and/or rewrite stories for newscasts.
- Prepare news and promo scripts and audio for air in NewsBoss content management software.
- Record and log network content for time shifting as needed.
- Prepare morning round-up of news headlines from other local news providers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with digital audio editing, studio technology and practices, and digital content.
- Sound and ethical news judgment, with a commitment to objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- An understanding of the NPR audience and news style.
- Familiarity with the NPR news magazine clocks, their structure, and elements.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to voice news scripts for radio.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism-related field or equivalent experience / training;
- At least one year of experience as a radio or news producer, preferably in public radio.
- Honesty and integrity in all dealings.
- Enthusiasm for the missions of PCBC and its stations.
Who Are We?
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is a team full of passionate and fun people dedicated to our crafts as well as our communities. Our organization plays a vital role in building connections across southwestern Pennsylvania and strengthening our communities through exceptional journalism and cultural exploration and education . . . and we have a powerful broadcast network to help!
We operate two local public radio stations and a local newsroom that serves the community across radio, digital and event platforms. 90.5 WESA is Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station and WESA News is an award winning, dynamic and ambitious newsroom serving southwestern Pennsylvania over-the-air, online and through our daily newsletter, Inbox Edition. 91.3 WYEP is one of the most highly regarded non-commercial Triple-A music stations in the country and has been a cultural institution in Pittsburgh for almost 50 years.
What’s it like working at PCBC?
The fill-in position schedule will vary based on need. Work hours are typically from 3:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
PCBC is committed to creating a safe, supportive environment for employees with a variety of backgrounds and life experiences, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The position pays $17.50/hour. As a part-time, non-exempt employee you can participate in our retirement plan (with up to a 6% match!). We also offer paid parking.
Want to know more?
Visit our hiring page to get more details and to apply. We’d love to hear from you!