Would you like to join a growing team of journalists in a different kind of newsroom? The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts. We are a small team with big goals. Like other small shops, we struggle with the balance between daily news coverage, long-form enterprise journalism and the growing need to be meeting new audiences in the digital space. We know we’re not a replacement for the newspapers of old. We don’t rush to cover every story that might be considered “daily news”. Rather, our focus is on covering our region through a community-focused lens, focusing on stories with depth, insight and humanity.
The Public’s Radio is looking for a Metro Desk Reporter to cover the important, emerging issues of the Providence metropolitan area, including education, racial and social justice, politics and the economy. The Metro Desk Reporter will be responsible for daily and long-form enterprise reporting with a particular emphasis on engagement journalism, focused on covering the diverse communities of the region. This is a full-time position with benefits. The Metro Desk Reporter reports to the Daily Editor.
Duties may include:
- News Reporting: Coverage of daily news for broadcast and digital channels, including spots and short features
- Enterprise/Investigative Reporting: Generate ideas, pitch stories, and report long-form stories on issues affecting the communities of Providence, Central Falls, Pawtucket and surrounding collar communities
- Community Engagement: Participate in community partnerships and events as assigned
- Web Page: Write and post web stories; maintain Metro Desk page and any special project pages
- Collaboration: Collaborate with journalists at The Public’s Radio and other news organizations as appropriate
- Fundraising: Participate in regular on-air fund drives as assigned
- Other duties as determined by the Chief Content Officer
What we’re looking for:
- 1-3 years of reporting experience
- A passion for audio storytelling
- Knowledge of regional communities and issues
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency in multi-platform journalism, including audio production and photography
- A demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure
- A passion for working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skill sets
- A track record of exhibiting cultural competency in their work and their professional life
Benefits: Benefits include generous health, dental, vision insurance; 13 paid holidays, three weeks vacation per year, 3 weeks sick leave per year.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
Candidates should send a cover letter highlighting the work and life experiences they think most qualifies them for the position, a resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of Metro Reporter.