Would you like to join a growing team of journalists in a different kind of newsroom? The Public’s Radio
is a nonprofit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts. We are
an award-winning small team with big goals. Like other small shops, we struggle with the balance
between daily news coverage, long-form enterprise journalism and the growing need to be meeting
new audiences in the digital space. We know we’re not a replacement for the newspapers of old. We
don’t rush to cover every story that might be considered “daily news.” Rather, our focus is on covering
our region through a community-focused lens, focusing on stories with depth, insight and humanity.
The Public’s Radio is looking for a Morning Edition Host that will be our “voice” to the community,
Monday through Friday mornings. We’re looking for someone with a comfortable, conversational on-air
presence who understands that hosting is as much about connecting with an audience as it is about
presenting the newscasts and special projects we produce. The position is based in Providence, Rhode
Island, on the beautiful Narragansett Bay, just a short drive from the Atlantic Ocean. This is a full-time
position with benefits. The Morning Edition Host reports to the Chief Content Officer.
Duties may include:
● Morning Edition hosting, including newscasts, breaks
● Interviewing: The Morning Edition Host will conduct timely interviews as assigned on issues
relevant to the stories reported at The Public’s Radio
● Community Engagement: Participate in community partnerships and events as assigned
● Collaboration: Collaborate with journalists at The Public’s Radio and other news organizations as
● Fundraising: Participate in regular on-air fund drives as assigned
● Other duties as determined by the Chief Content Officer
What we’re looking for:
● 1-3 years of on air broadcast experience
● Knowledge of regional communities and issues
● Excellent writing skills
● Proficiency in multi-platform journalism, including audio production
● A demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure
● A passion for working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skill sets
● A track record of exhibiting cultural competency in their work and their professional life
Benefits include generous health, dental, vision insurance; 13
paid holidays, three weeks vacation per year, 3 weeks sick leave per year.
Candidates should send a cover letter highlighting the work and life experiences they think most qualifies them for the position, a resume and references to email@example.com with the subject line of Morning Edition Host.
Deadline: Open until filled.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and
building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage
members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
The Public’s Radio 89.3FM | 1 Union Station, Providence, Rhode Island 02903 | 401.351.2800 | thepublicsradio.org