Radio Bilingüe (RB) is looking for its next leader – a Co-Executive Director (Co-ED) – to share responsibility for the transition and success of RB into its next generation of leadership and impactful programming and service. This is a full-time position based in Fresno, California.
Radio Bilingüe is the nation’s leading Latino-controlled non-commercial radio network and producer of Latino-focused programming in Spanish, English, Mixteco and Triqui in public radio. Radio Bilingüe owns and operates 25 FM public radio stations in California, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas as well as a national Spanish language news and information service used by more than 75 affiliates across the U.S.
Radio Bilingüe is employing a new model of executive leadership as its founding Executive Director, Hugo Morales, transitions out of the day-to-day management of RB and into a new role in fundraising. The selected candidate and Hugo Morales will become Co-Executive Directors for an anticipated period of one year as determined by the Board. Hugo Morales will mentor the new Co-ED to assume shared responsibility for setting strategy and vision for the organization and ensuring its fiscal health and excellent management.
Over time, the new Co-ED will assume increasing responsibility for the strategic and operational direction and success of the organization. This includes maximizing RB’s impact, ensuring funding for current and future needs, growing and diversifying RB’s audience and building on RB’s engagement with local, state, national and international partners.
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for non-commercial, Latino-controlled independent media and be committed to RB’s leadership role of serving as a voice to inform and empower Latino farmworker, immigrant and other underrepresented communities. This person also will have a strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice as well as diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. They will be a visionary and strategist and possess an enterprising spirit, serving as an ambassador for RB’s values and legacy.
- Directly supervise senior management team that includes Directors of News, Broadcast/Public Affairs, Business and Development.
- Co-lead long-range visioning and strategic planning in partnership with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Inspire, motivate and co-lead a team of committed and engaged professionals to realize RB’s mission, vision and short- and long-term goals.
- Embrace and operationalize a collaborative leadership model with senior staff, fostering shared decision-making and a sense of collective responsibility.
- Engage with managers in process of maximizing seed funds to develop new or renovated broadcast facilities in Fresno.
- Ensure sufficient organizational resources and support to achieve goals and outcomes.
- Foster an environment of inclusion and belonging among staff, volunteers, audience members and partners.
- Recruit and retain diverse, highly qualified staff and volunteers by providing coaching, growth and leadership opportunities and support as well as professional development opportunities for workers.
Community and Public Relations
- Serve as the leading public face and spokesperson for RB.
- Oversee RB’s public image and marketing strategies.
- Identify and cultivate the next generations of RB listeners and supporters.
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with key community, state, national and international stakeholders and organizations.
Supervise Development Director and participate in Development Team’s activities, including:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with individual and institutional funders.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of fundraising goals and strategies for meeting those goals.
- Spearheading major gifts campaign and major fundraising events.
- Developing and monitoring funding goals to match annual and future budget needs.
Board of Directors Relations and Responsibilities
- Develop and sustain strong working relationships with RB’s Board members.
- Assist in the development of Board policies.
- Engage the Board in strategic operational and financial planning.
- Ensure the Board has the financial, information, administrative and other support it needs to successfully lead the organization.
- Assist in identifying potential new Board members.
Supervise Business Director and Consulting Accounting Firm. Engage in related activities, including:
- Overseeing the preparation of annual budgets.
- Regularly monitoring revenues and expenses to ensure needed funds and prevent any annual deficit.
- Ensuring the maintenance of sound financial practices and compliance with all federal and state accounting rules and funders stipulations.
Supervise Business and Broadcast Directors and participate in activities, including:
- Overseeing the development of and ensuring compliance with internal policies, including personnel policies.
- Becoming trained in and ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations, including those related to broadcasting, communications, public radio, taxes and workplace issues.
- Overseeing the fulfillment of and ensuring compliance with contracts and agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Five+ years of experience in the non-profit arena at the executive level
- Live in or near Fresno, California
- Commitment to and knowledge of the farmworker, Latino and immigrant communities and/or other underrepresented communities
- Commitment to public/community media’s mission and vision
- Be a visionary and strategist and possess an enterprising spirit
- Five+ years of proven fundraising experience and success
- Five+ years of supervisory experience
- Bilingual Spanish and English, with excellent verbal communication skills in both languages and excellent written skills in English
- Be open to and embrace a model of being mentored by the current Executive Director and learning from other senior managers
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills
- Excellent project and team management skills
- Excellent internal and external communications skills
The starting salary range for this position is $90,000-$100,000. This is a regular, full-time position that requires flexible scheduling for occasional work during weekends or evenings. Our comprehensive benefits package includes vacation and sick leave; health, dental, and life insurance; a retirement plan; a supportive team culture and support for professional development activities.
The physical location of this position is Radio Bilingüe’s headquarters in Fresno, California. This position requires travel depending on organizational needs.
TO APPLY: Email resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT RADIO BILINGÜE
Radio Bilingüe is the leading Latino-controlled noncommercial radio network and producer of Latino-focused programming in Spanish, English, Mixteco and Triqui in the nation’s public radio system. For more than 40 years, Radio Bilingüe has been serving Latino and Indigenous farmworkers and other low-wage essential workers in the U.S. with news and information targeted to their needs, as well as opportunities for civic engagement. ---
Radio Bilingüe is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our open positions. All qualified applicants for employment will receive consideration without regard to an individual’s race, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, marital status, medical condition or any other characteristics as protected by federal, state or local laws.