Media Broadcast Systems Engineer
Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. (RMPM) is the parent company of Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop. Over a million Coloradans turn to Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop to discover provocative and inspiring local, national and international programming; find diverse viewpoints; score front row center seats to world-class performances; and experience lifelong learning opportunities every month.
Rocky Mountain Public Media is looking for an individual who will join our team as a Media Broadcast Systems Engineer. The Media Broadcast Systems Engineer must be able to solve complex problems in a timely manner. This position will often have strict deadlines or operate within live/remote production environments. The ideal candidate must have excellent time management skills and the ability to recall extensive technical knowledge quickly. They must be detail-oriented and able to identify and prevent potential technical issues. They must also be able to prioritize and shift work priorities quickly, maintaining flexibility and quick response time. The Media Broadcast Systems Engineer will also be able to coordinate and collaborate with Leadership Teams and other cross-departmental colleagues for overall technical support of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary Responsibilities Summary:
- 30%-- Installation, configuration, troubleshooting, technical support, and repair of broadcast technologies for TV/Radio, production and IT equipment across multiple platforms. Create technical solutions for unique complex problems.
- 30%-- Maintain all transmissions, monitoring and troubleshooting for TV/Radio, Linear Streaming and OTT platforms.
- 25%-- Installation and maintenance of computer hardware and software.
- 10%-- Understand and implement broadcast formats HD-SDI, IP, ASI, RF, PSIP, and streaming technologies from studio and post-production to master control and distribution.
- 5%-- Utilize, create, and update broadcast technical drawings in Auto-CAD.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY DETAILS:
- Support and troubleshoot technical problems with fellow staff members of diverse backgrounds and technical knowledge.
- Knowledge and experience in both IP transport technology principles, broadcast technologies design & support.
- Understand various audio/video compressions MPEG-2, MPEG-4, J2K, HEVC, AAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF etc.
- Must be knowledgeable in all areas of technical production, repair, configuration, and operation with all studio production equipment including: Broadcast Audio/Video Control Systems, Video Servers, NAS systems, RF Systems, Editing, and Postproduction Systems.
- Detailed understanding and willingness to learn in all aspects of IT networking, Firewalls, Fiber-Optics, MPEG, SAN and RAID based systems, IP, DNS, SNMP, and Active Directory.
- Experience with Windows, Apple and Linux OS. Understand and execute with remote monitoring capabilities via computer equipment and software applications.
- Knowledge of PSIP, various audio/video formats, codecs and have proficiency with closed-caption encoders.
- Experience with studio RTS-IP Intercom systems, networked TriCasters, teleprompters, and lighting systems.
- Exceptional troubleshooting abilities in IP and digital audio/video computer systems.
- Experience in live, remote, and studio production environments
- Experience managing multiple priorities within time sensitive environments.
- Prepares and maintains various technical records and engineering logs pertaining to broadcast equipment, performance in accordance with FCC broadcast rules and regulations.
- Maintain a rotating 24 hour "on-call" availability with Technology department and others who may be able to render assistance.
- Works collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals, and positive results; receptive to feedback, listens to others and values opinions.
- Maintain strong relationship with cross-departmental colleagues to stay apprised of technical issues that can be resolved quickly.
- Performs other tasks as assigned and/or required.
- BS/BA preferred. 3-5 years of progressive related experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in working as a broadcast technician in television, radio, video post-production, systems integrator, or digital media organization.
- Must be able to travel in state when needed to statewide transmission sites to assist with repair, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and have a sufficiently clean MVR to be authorized to operate company vehicles as required by our insurance carrier.
- Willingness to learn and expand technical knowledge base.
- Demonstrated ability providing exceptional customer service.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work professionally and productively with people at all levels.
- Must possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills; great attention to detail; the ability to process and maintain confidential information; and develop strong relationships with both internal and external constituencies to promote a positive collaborative spirit across the organization.
- Highly proficient knowledge and experience with Office 365: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint required.
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively as a productive team member.
- Must possess exceptional time management, decision making and organizational skills.
- Must model the following core culture attributes:
- Integrity. Aspires to engage a diverse community in ways that build mutual trust and respect. Takes seriously our responsibility to operate with the highest level of transparency, accountability, and inclusivity.
- Commitment. Engages our staff, supporters, and the Colorado community with the genuine intent to listen, build understanding, and inspire meaningful conversations.
- Collaboration. Collaboration must be embraced equally by the individual and the organization in all we do, and in our relationships throughout the communities we serve.
- A mix of demonstrated skills, abilities and knowledge may be considered in place of educational requirements.
Preferred Qualifications of Position
- Prefer experience with Evertz HD-SDI video routers, AXIA & Dante audio over IP technologies, traditional microwave links, ASI & IP encoder/decoders and transmission methods.
- Prefer experience with production and post workflows including custom MAM, SAN, DAM workflows.
- Excellent and proven project management skills with a history of managing complex projects, delivering quality work on time and within budgetary guidelines.
- Strong written communication skills with experience in writing detailed technical communications.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION: Persons interested in this position must apply at https://rmpbs.isolvedhire.com/jobs Please submit the following items:
- A cover letter detailing how the applicant's qualifications fit the needs of RMPM and information on how the applicant found out about the job opening.
- A resume detailing education, training, and employment experience.
Position will be posted until filled. No phone calls please. KRMA-TV/KTSC-TV/KRMJ-TV/KRMU-TV/KRMZ-TV and KUVO-FM/KVJZ-FM are licensed to and operated by Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. as non-commercial public television and radio.
This position works primarily in an office environment. This position must be able to work a flexible schedule with occasionally long hours including some evenings and weekends. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires the individual to bend, lift and carry up to 50 pounds as well as climb ladders and utilize step stools to maintain equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EEO STATEMENT: Rocky Mountain Public Media embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, Rocky Mountain Public Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.