Multimedia Journalist - Southwestern Region (Part-Time)
Southwestern Colorado (Durango)
Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. is the parent company of Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop. Over a million Coloradans turn to Rocky Mountain Public Media to discover provocative and inspiring local, national, and international programming; find diverse viewpoints; score front row center seats to world-class performances; and experience lifelong learning opportunities every month.
The Multimedia Journalist - Southwest Region (Part-Time) maintains strong connections in the local community and creates informative community content. The position requires cultivating contacts with Colorado communities who need to be seen and heard. The Multimedia Journalist creates an open door for people to share their stories and has the skills to bring those stories to multiple platforms. This is a local Southwestern Colorado-based position and a statewide representative for the region. The position focuses on relationships with local communities - including Indigenous/Native American populations in the area. This is a Part-Time, 20 hr/week position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for daily production of responsive content and special project work when required (one or more per week).
- Shoots, edits, and/or writes content for multiple platforms of RMPM to help further the mission of creating a Colorado where everyone is seen and heard.
- Engages with communities in Colorado to create an open door for content. Meet with community leaders to listen to and hear story ideas. Represents RMPM at community events.
- Uses solid news judgment with the ability to recognize stories.
- Actively participates in RMPM's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) training program. Uses key standards and teachings of DEI training when generating content.
- Shoots and edits spots and full programs while adhering to PBS, NPR, and FCC technical standards.
- Assists with acquisition of intellectual property licenses and other necessary rights and releases. Maintains administrative records for assigned projects.
- Vets all programming resources with industry-standard or greater editorial integrity.
- Works closely with contractors and RIC producers on special projects on all stages of the production process from story development through post-production, including conducting interviews and writing scripts with supervision.
- Shoots drone footage for various productions and series.
- Attends weekly content meetings providing useful input and story ideas.
- Has experience working with Indigenous/Native American communities
- Forms and maintains close relationships with Fort Lewis College's Diversity Collaborative -including the Native American Center and El Centro do Muchos Colores
- Other tasks as assigned and/or required.
Minimum Qualifications of Position
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field with strong evidence of achievement is preferred. A mix of demonstrated skills, abilities and knowledge will be considered in place of education requirements.
- Minimum three years of experience in television, radio, and multimedia production is required. Experience producing cross-platform content is a plus.
- Must possess strong experience and skills with video producing abilities (editing and shooting)
- Must have demonstrated ability to work well independently and with staff, interns, students, volunteers and the general public and exercise good judgment under pressure.
- Must have demonstrated experience and/or skills in operating studio cameras, audio equipment, lights, prompters, character generators, switchers, editors, and nonlinear editing and graphic software i.e. Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Must have demonstrated broadcast script writing abilities.
- Must have strong visual storytelling techniques through shot composition, sequencing and spontaneous news gathering processes.
- Solid writing and copy-editing skills are required.
- Must be able to utilize strong research skills.
- Strong experience with digital/social platforms is required.
Additional Qualifications of Position
- Must be able to work both independently and as a collaborative and productive team member.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work professionally and productively with persons at all levels.
- Must possess exceptional time management, decision making and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to network and partner with a variety of media and non-media related organizations and institutions to publicize and uphold Rocky Mountain PBS visibility and brand.
- Must be able to maintain a strong community involvement and presence.
- Experience producing cross-platform content including demonstrated ability to translate television media into radio, print, and digital/web publishing is preferred.
- Edits Native Lens submissions as needed with the people who submit stories. Also packages the pieces to share on RMPM platform(s).
- Works with KSUT's Tribal Media Center on Four Corners projects (and beyond).
- Spanish-speaking preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable MVR; must be insurable for driving station vehicles.
Rocky Mountain Public Media embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, Rocky Mountain Public Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION: Persons interested in this position must apply at www.rmpbs.org/jobs. Please submit the following items:
- A cover letter detailing how the applicant's qualifications fit the needs of RMPM and information on how the applicant found out about the job opening.
- A resume detailing education, training, and employment experience.
Position will be posted at www.rmpbs.org/jobs until filled. No phone calls please. KRMA-TV/KTSC-TV/KRMJ-TV/KRMU-TV/KRMZ-TV and KUVO-FM/KVJZ-FM are licensed to and operated by Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. as non-commercial public television and radio.