Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
LAist Studios is the award-winning podcast division of Southern California Public Radio. We tell LA stories to the world and are committed to reflecting the diversity of Southern California.
The content development director is responsible for bringing the best ideas to the table and ensuring that 100% of our shows are produced and/or staffed by creators from underrepresented backgrounds.
Our shows are a mix of journalism, non-fiction narrative and conversation-driven shows. We’re looking for ideas that; demonstrate an issue, character or narratives unique to LA and Southern California, ambitious in form and aimed at a global audience, drive community and helps our audience feel more connected, creative and smarter. The development director works with the rest of the studios team to solicit strong ideas internally and externally from a range of sources and runs an evaluation and testing process in collaboration with content, product, underwriting and finance departments.
The ideal candidate is full of ideas and knows how to execute against them. They are able to solicit strong ideas and make them better. They have excellent storytelling skills, know how to craft great pitches and get buy in from different stakeholders.
The salary for this opportunity will be no less than $119,743 annualized. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
- Responsible for developing, fostering, managing, and expanding the development pipeline for LAist Studios.
- Working with the executive producer, create a slate of shows for potential production or co-production.
- Identifies external and internal ideas and talent to partner with, following studios priorities and editorial standards/development criteria.
- Develops Ideas that have strong franchise potential and can expand existing franchises.
- Work with senior leadership across LAist Studios to run an effective and inclusive green light process.
- Work across the organization (with marketing, underwriting, and development/fundraising teams) to gather feedback on ideas and provide informed analysis before approval.
- Works on budgets for ideas that are being considered for greenlighting.
- Manages piloting process and budget.
- Works with product and marketing to develop a testing process for ideas and pilots before they get greenlit.
- Created and manages strong relationships with talent agencies, creators, arts and culture organizations, studios, talent pipeline organizations and beyond.
- Oversees production of select projects.
Required Education and Experience:
- 5+ years’ experience in audio, production, or digital media.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent working experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- A track record of developing, producing and launching successful / high quality content (preferable in online platforms and/or podcasts, but not limited to those).
- Experience working in a deadline driven environment.
- Proven experience developing and/or producing successful / high quality content intentionally. designed to engage Millennials and GenZ.
- Experience running a creative process.
- Demonstrated proficiency in editorial and production calendar management.
- Experience working with talent.
- Top-notch organizational skills, attention to detail, deadlines and time-management.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Ability to multitask.
- Experience in budget management and ability to be fiscally responsible.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of public radio and its standards for journalism.
- Understanding of talent pipeline / ideas pipeline design and management.
- Proficiency in podcast production.
- An independent work ethic combined with a love for and patience with the collaborative process.
- Proven ability to collaborate with teams, receive and provide constructive feedback
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture.
Reporting to this Position: Senior Producer(s)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.