Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
The Account Executive is responsible for securing new funders for Southern California Public Radio’s news and information public radio service, 89.3 KPCC FM and the SCPR network of Southern California affiliates (89.1 KUOR FM/Riverside, 90.3 KVLA-FM/Coachella, 89.5 KJAI-FM/Ojai, 89.9 K210AD-FM/Santa Barbara); and LAist.com to meet new income targets. This position works directly with the account executives at our national sales rep firm, NPM, and services, renews and increases funding levels of current clients to meet both new income and renewal rate targets (if applicable). The position also solicits business from accounts and agencies (as assigned) outside of the greater Los Angeles sales region.
- Work with National Public Media (NPM) to meet budget goals for on-air, digital, podcast, and event services.
- Work independently to grow national business from clients/agencies outside of the Greater Los Angeles sales region.
- Focus on multi-platform sales to drive revenue on broadcast, online media, podcast, and events.
- Identify new underwriting prospects using broadcast, online media; trade publications (marketing, advertising, industry specific); and business contacts.
- Prepare written and in-person presentations designed to meet prospect needs and resources.
- Communicate new business results to Vice President, Underwriting. Generate reports to show income generated from prospect conversions. (Weekly and/or monthly.)
- Work with prospects and internal staff to prepare effective and acceptable underwriting credits.
- Identify online sponsorship and advertising opportunities for both current clients and prospects.
- Utilize and help improve support systems such as traffic, billing, contact management, Nielsen, Qualitap, Tapscan, etc.
- Represent Southern California Public Radio with integrity, professionalism, respect and mature judgment.
- Assist with other development and marketing activities as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum four (4) years sales experience in broadcasting or other media.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven track record of successfully meeting income targets through both prospecting and client upgrades.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, a persuasive communicator, and goal focused.
- Ability and eagerness to sell in a challenging start up environment focused on building a significant public service media company for Southern California.
- Excellent communication skills are a must.
- Looking for a curious mind, a team player, energetic and a strong presence.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the radio industry
- Experience selling digital and events.
- Experience in the public radio industry
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Travel around Southern California required
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.