SUMMARY: SOPBS seeks an experienced educator or outreach specialist to serve as the station’s Education Manager. As a team member, the SOPBS Education Manager collaborates with station staff, iterates existing education outreach programs, or projects and provides feedback as the educator voice within SOPBS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The SOPBS Education Manager's primary focus is the supporting media arts teachers for the PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs program.
- In consultation with SOPBS staff, the SOPBS Education Manager develops and executes local and regional engagement activities for local media arts teachers that serve both the station and local media arts students.
- Regularly develops and fosters relationships with southern Oregon media arts teachers, creating and facilitating media arts presentations, media arts professional development programs, promoting SOPBS and PBS Education resources, and regular travel throughout the service area engaging media arts teachers.
- Identifies new areas of media arts opportunity for media arts teachers, and targets areas for improvement with current programs or projects based on research data collected as part of needs finding research, which starts with empathizing and defining existing educational programs/projects with local students, teachers, administrators, national partners, and management at SOPBS.
- Communicates feedback to stakeholders (PBS national, SOPBS, Local School Administrators, teachers, students, etc.) and ideates recommendations that build on successes or reflect new areas of opportunity for the station and local partners.
- Continues to prototype existing educational programs/projects, and new programs or projects.
- Actively uses multiple digital platforms to engage and grow the local educational community and followers in the SOPBS service area relating to education projects/programs.
- Serves as a mentor to new and struggling media arts educators in the region relating to existing programs and projects and cultivates new relationships relating to new programs or projects.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- A leader and demonstrated mentor with a desire to empower peers and strategies around current and relevant professional development opportunities
- An active sharer of content and ideas through social media
- An awareness of current trends in education and a demonstrated aptitude for innovative teaching practices
- A forward-thinking ambassador for education who embraces life-long learning, community partnerships, collaboration and who recognizes the power technology has to inspire students, and
- Other preferred qualities include creativity, clarity, persuasiveness, dynamism and experience with resources from PBS and PBS Education
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A successful licensed teacher of K-12 students in public schools in the Medford, Oregon or the surrounding region for at least 3 of the last 5 years
- A tech-savvy educator with a passion for using and integrating digital technology and media in educational settings
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 15 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional equipment as found in a typical office environment.
POSITION DETAILS: This is a full-time benefited position. It is open until filled, and interviews will occur on a rolling basis beginning October 27, 2022. Salary and benefits will be competitive with the potential acquisition of new grants that may compensate local educators in the local community for their involvement.
TO APPLY: Submit a letter of introduction and a resumé detailing professional experience and demonstration of criteria. Include names and contact information for at least 3 professional references who can affirm your recent experience and qualifications.
Application materials should be sent to:
Mindy Gomes, SOPBS Administrative Assistant
Southern Oregon PBS
28 S. Fir, Ste. 200
Medford, OR 97501
No Phone Calls Please