University Corporation at Monterey Bay
Salary: $26.00 - $31.00 Hourly
Job Number: 2023-00027
Location: CSUMB Main Campus- Seaside, CA
Open Until Filled. Priority Screening Date: September 29, 2023
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non-profit institution that is related and affiliated with the California State University, Monterey Bay. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) public benefits corporation that is a recognized auxiliary organization of California State University and was established in July 1994. The University Corporation's mission is to further the educational purposes of the University. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State Population. The University Corporation at Monterey is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees.
90.3 KAZU is hiring a News Reporter-Producer who will be a voice for a trusted news source in the Monterey Bay Area. This reporter-producer will be based at the KAZU studios in Seaside. Responsibilities include reporting, conducting source interviews, writing and editing audio stories for broadcast on 90.3 KAZU and NPR partners. The Reporter-Producer works under the general supervision of the News Director.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include. but are not limited to. the following:
Reporter / Producer
• Develops sources by meeting with local leaders and newsmakers.
• Interviewing eye-witnesses, authorities, and people of interest in news stories.
• Delivering scripted, spontaneous, live, and prerecorded reports on newsworthy events.
• Representing the station at local events, conferences, press briefings, and interviews.
• Gains traction in communities within coverage area, particularly in underserved areas
• Seeks out diverse sources and overlooked communities
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Commitment to solutions-oriented journalism
Produces audio news stories for broadcast:
• Researches local issues, interviews sources and records audio in the field and studio
• Produces promos for stories ahead of broadcast
• Writes broadcast script and voice tracks stories
• Edits scripts with the News Director or assigned editor
• Edits audio using Adobe Audition
• Edits co-workers pieces, with oversight from News Director
Produces and manages digital content:
• Writes companion digital stories for audio pieces following AP Style
• Writes standalone digital content for kazu.org, as needed.
• Edits web pieces with News Director or assigned editor
• Edits co-workers digital pieces, with oversight from News Director
• Takes photos / video to accompany web story and/or social media
• Creates videos, podcasts, newsletters and other digital format pieces
• Crafts social media content, including photos / video
• Tracks metrics for digital content
• Collaborates with student interns on news stories and other projects
• Participates in training and mentorship of student interns
Contributes to administrative tasks
• Attends regular department meetings
• Adds potential and ongoing stories to news production calendar, with an eye towards future newsworthy events
• Helps maintain the story tracking database, source database, photo library, and other digital assets.
• Helps maintain FCC Issues/Programs report
• Represents KAZU at conferences, meetings and collaborations with other producers and media organizations.
• Hosting on-air shifts as needed
• Participates in KAZU's on-air fundraising campaigns.
• Promotes and maintains an atmosphere of excellent internal and external customer service within the radio station.
• Participates in special programming, fundraising programs and events.
• Ensuring a professional appearance, language use, and manner throughout reports.
• Perform other duties as assigned by News Director
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, walk upstairs; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• This is primarily a field-going position.
• 75% reporting in the field, 25% in-office
• Office Location: 100 Campus Center, Seaside, CA
Due to COVID 19, this position may be approved to work remotely on a temporary basis, or may be required to physically work on campus. Work assignment locations are at the sole discretion of CSUMB and may be changed or revoked at any time. Ability to work from home: adequate internet connection and ergonomically sound and quiet workspace.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to write concise, clean copy in a fast-paced environment
• Experience with broadcast journalism, specifically using voice and sound to report news stories
• Experience with multimedia tools: photo and video cameras, audio equipment, social media, etc.
• Ability to juggle multiple stories of varying lengths and complexities, from quick-turn breaking news stories, to long-form podcasts or news series.
• Able to form and ask probing questions to interviewees.
• Ability to develop and track human sources and mine online resources and data for information
• Knowledge of journalism ethics, reporting standards and the mission of public radio journalism.
• Familiar with AP style
• Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite to edit audio, photos and video.
• Superb verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision, and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated computer savviness. Able to learn new software and become proficient in digital tools like Air Table, Mail Chimp, Google Suite, and NPR's Content Management System “Grove.”
Education and Experience:
• Four-year degree from an accredited college or university in journalism or related field AND professional experience in the news department of a public radio station or equivalent.
• Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to two years of the required experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence.
• Experience at a public radio station and familiarity with NPR standards and practices are desirable. Knowledge of current Monterey and/or Santa Cruz County and regional issues. A background in journalism, production and/or broadcast operations.
Special Conditions of Employment
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the University Corporation. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current University Corporation employees who apply for the position.
This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. This position is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education's Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues. Our Equal Opportunity Policy Statement is available https://csumb.edu/corporation/personnel/.
Please note: University Corporation employment is separate and distinct from CSU Monterey Bay or State of California employment. University Corporation employees are not employees of either CSUMB or of the state of California.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. The University Corporation is not a sponsoring agency for any positions.
University Corporation at Monterey Bay positions are “at-will” employment.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
The campus leadership has committed the resources needed to achieve an engaged, safe, and in-person experience. The health and safety of our community remain our highest priority, and we are confident that existing public health measures provide for a safe environment capable of delivering a complete college experience on the CSUMB campus. Being an Otter means caring for each other and doing your part to protect your community.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at https://csumb.edu/clery.
Special License or Certifications and Conditions:
• Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
• May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Questions can be sent to: https://email@example.com.
Compensation and Benefits:SALARY AND BENEFITS
The University Corporation is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students, and the customers we serve. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources. Our salary schedule is available https://csumb.edu/corporation/personnel/.
The hourly hiring range for this position is $26-31. Classification: Grade 4, Staff. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. The Corporation offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), and other benefits. Please review our https://d2jtc9c99zuy7w.cloudfront.net/wkUFFNMTNm0BW2D5pmgj_607433895%20UCorp%202021%20Benefits%20at%20a%20Glance%2020%2003.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/ for details about sick time, vacation, and holidays.
The Corporation also offers access to CSUMB's Faculty & Staff Meal Plans, which offers convenience, value, flexibility, to our all-you-can-to-eat dining commons, showcasing eight brand new dining concepts for an affordable price.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing: https://csumb.edu/corporation/employee-housing
Although CSUMB is located in a high-cost housing area, Schoonover Park rental homes are affordably priced. Monthly rent rates include cable television, garbage service, and sewer. Convenient floorplans, attractive interior appointments, and numerous community amenities make Schoonover Park Rental Homes an exceptional value. Schoonover Park is near the main campus, yet a tranquil world away. The community lies nestled in the secluded beauty of rolling coastal hills three miles east of campus. Living in one of the most desirable areas of California, you will enjoy the natural splendor and cultural abundance of the Monterey Peninsula. Quality of life begins with your home in Schoonover Park and extends through every aspect of your California coastal lifestyle. https://www.schoonoverparkapartments.com/
How to Apply:All prospective applicants must apply online. You must complete the entire application for submission. We only accept applications for the open positions listed. Please do not fax or mail in a printed version of the electronic applications or a resume in lieu of an application. If you are having difficulty applying or need assistance, please call (831) 582-3389. All positions are open until filled. The completed online application and resume must be submitted by 5:00 pm PST on the priority screening date. Applications received after this date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Corporation is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4599395
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.