As our HR Manager, you are the first person future VPM employees meet and you set the stage for a successful employee experience. While knowledgeable in the fundamentals of human resources, you will lead all recruitment efforts to build a pipeline of talent to meet current and future workforce needs. Finding talent is just the beginning! Developing and retaining talent is critical, too. You will foster a culture of learning to ensure employees are developing their skills and growing as employees. Skilled in building positive relationships with employees, you help managers and employees navigate workplace conflicts when they arise.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Recruiting, Hiring and Onboarding Talent
• Works closely with Chief Operating Officer and hiring managers to clarify hiring needs and to create or update job descriptions before posting and initiating search.
• Guides candidates through the interview & hiring process. Screens candidates and presents diverse candidate pool to hiring managers, schedules candidate interviews and collects interview feedback. Completes reference and background checks and extends job offers.
• Coordinates and oversees new hire orientations and works with department leads to plan for a successful onboarding.
• Conducts exit interviews when employees leave VPM and tracks common themes to share back with leadership to improve the employee experience.
Learning and Development
• Plans, develops and implements employee training and professional development serving as point of contact for centralized L&D and tuition assistance budgets.
• Plans and implements ongoing manager or leadership development and learning.
Culture and Belonging
• Leverages VPM Values to build work environments where employees feel safe, engaged, inspired and productive in a hybrid workplace.
• Acts as an internal consultant, working with both managers and employees when workplace conflict arises.
• Collaborates with Community Impact Director to support DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) initiatives and roadmap, including conducting a biennial employee climate and belonging survey.
Administration and Management
• Works closely with other HR Manager to ensure HR coverage and back up.
• Actively updates and maintains HR best practices and processes supporting an employee-centric workplace.
• Tracks applicant information and leverages HRIS for reporting purposes.
• Bachelor's degree in human resources or closely related area.
• Current HR certifications (SHRM-S/CP or HRCI S/PHR) or ability to obtain within 18 months of hire.
• Four years varied Human Resources experience with progressive responsibility.
• Experience in recruitment and selection, employee relations, and staff training & development preferred.
• Proven ability to navigate workplace conflict.
• Effective and proactive leadership, team communication, facilitation, problem solving, and decision making.
• Evidence of the highest level of ethical behavior and practice; able to generate trust among colleagues, staff, and leaders.
• Non-profit and/or public media industry experience highly preferred.
• Maintains strict adherence to the organization’s policy on confidentiality in all matters and other business information about the organization.
• Skilled with Word, Excel, and Outlook, and standard office equipment.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.