WAMU 88.5 is Washington DC’s leading public radio station for NPR news and information. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
The Associate Director of Marketing & Events reports to the Senior Director of Branding and Engagement. This position will work with the Senior Director in the development and lead the execution of all consumer marketing activities and events for WAMU. The Associate Director will develop and implement marketing campaigns to grow and deepen audience engagement efforts across on-air, digital, social and print platforms and utilize engagement metrics and analysis, to assess effectiveness and convert audiences to engaged participants and donors. Develops and implements strategies to drive growth of national portfolio, presence, and revenue. Positions WAMU as a leader not only in public media but across the larger media environment.
The Associate Director will additionally manage all efforts that place the WAMU brand directly in the community, in face-to face encounters with members, volunteers, donors and listeners. The position develops and executes an events strategy that showcases the WAMU portfolio of local and national brands and is diversified to reach all listener audience segments. The Associate Director develops event concepts through collaboration with senior leadership, sponsorship account executives, show producers, development officers, and public media and community partners. The events team is responsible for the execution of all mid-to large-scale events and provides training and support for smaller events executed by individual programs.
- Marketing: Deploys industry best practices to increase brand awareness, maintains and grows WAMU’s audience, and supports and builds loyalty with existing and target audiences. Develops targeted marketing campaigns that reflect the region’s unique sensibilities and cultural compositions to support station goals and events, identifies and executes ad buys, and oversees all marketing collateral and presentation development.
- Station Carriage: Recommends, manages and executes integrated marketing and business plans and strategies to meet carriage and revenue goals, including through the development of a strategy to showcase WAMU’s nationally syndicated programing to markets across the United States; maintains regular communication with carrying station PDs and our distribution partner, NPR; conducts regular outreach to targeted markets for carriage; ensures budget, goals and objectives are in strategic alignment with organizational goals. Develops and manages the communication and brand strategy for national content on all relevant platforms.
- Event Execution: In partnership with the Senior Director of Branding and Engagement, develops a robust multi-year events strategy designed to expand WAMU’s reach, increases member loyalty, engages diverse audiences, and generates revenue by hosting events primarily across the District/Maryland/Virginia region while leveraging WAMU’s programming and talent. Works with the Senior Director of Branding and Engagement and Business Administration Office to develop event plans and revenue projections for each year with a goal towards a self-sustaining events portfolio.
- Partnerships and Leadership: Manages staff through regular feedback, coaching, mentoring, evaluating performance, and encouraging participation in professional development opportunities. Collaborates with internal departments and industry partners to identify opportunities to bring WAMU to life in the market through the creation of both WAMU-specific and co-branded events, and the development of strategic partnerships across the community, private and public media, American University, arts institutions, and other non-profits.
- This position reports to the Sr. Director, Branding & Engagement, and works in close partnership with the Chief Advancement Officer and Chief Content Officer, the head of underwriting, and the Director of HR, along with other members of WAMU’s leadership team.
- The incumbent directly supervises an Event Manager and Sr. Graphic Designer. Supervisory responsibilities are subject to change.
- Possible work on evenings and weekends as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time, 35 hours/week.
- Project Leader/Advisor A.
- Commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Increasing responsible experience with internal and external communications, responsibility for developing and implementing, outreach and engagement plans, or other relevant experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Superior ability to write in a journalistic style that is customary for corporate and external publications.
- Ability to offer sound media relations advice to senior leadership.
- Experience with or leading strategic media strategy in contemporary multi-platform media environment;
- Must have experience with a diverse work force. WAMU adheres to a Statement of Principles which serve as our workplace values.
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule.
For more information, please visit this page.