WAMU 88.5 is Washington DC’s leading public radio station for NPR news and information. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports directly to the General Manager and is responsible for the development, management, and implementation of WAMU’s strategic priorities. The COO will manage WAMU’s day-to-day operations and organization-wide initiatives, and will oversee WAMU’s critical business functions, including finance, human resources, technology, facilities, and business administration. The COO will support the expansion and diversification of new audiences, digital innovation, strategic partnerships, and community engagement.
The COO will serve as a member of the executive team in charge of all facets of daily operations at WAMU. The role requires strong project, financial, and human capital management skills and the ability to prioritize in a fast- paced media environment.
The COO will work collaboratively across WAMU, American University partners, and key stakeholders to develop and execute tactical plans that align with strategic objectives, establish and deliver clear operating plan to increase the overall impact of the WAMU/DCist brands. This position will oversee and act as an effective steward of an operating budget and financial structure and will seek innovative opportunities to build partnerships, increase revenue and strengthen teams with attention to diversity, inclusion and creativity.
- Strategic Leadership & Operations Management: Manage daily operations in furtherance of revenue and business objectives. Build and implement an overall operation plan to advance WAMU’s annual strategies. Regularly review of operational results, through the analysis of KPIs designed to effectively monitor progress of new initiatives, proactively identify potential risks, and strategize with executive leadership to translate data to inform organizational decisions. Establish clearly defined goals and objectives and effectively communicate same through regular meetings and the performance management process.
- Business Administration: Provide oversight for WAMU’s business administration team in partnership with the Managing Director of Finance and Administration, including budget management; accounts payables and receivables, financial reconciliations, forecasts, reports, and audits.
- Partnerships and Relationship Building: Develop and maintain a broad understanding of all WAMU business units. Serve as the lead contributor to WAMU’s general business planning regarding operations, staffing, finance, and technology to continue to build and maintain strong collaborative relationships with a wide range of people within the organization, American University, the community and with other media entities.
- Human Resources: Provide oversight for human resources, including talent management, recruitment and retention, and adherence to WAMU’s the collective bargaining agreement and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Facilities Management & Technical Operation: Provide oversight of WAMU’s technology needs, office logistics, and procedures related to the operation of the WAMU facility, including physical security, parking, safety, and business continuity events. Ensures strong communications and relationships with American University facilities and police departments.
- This position will manage Director of human resources (16881), Managing Dir finance and administration (18268), and Sr. Director, technology operations (12071)
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full-Time, 35 hours/week.
- Division Leader C.
- Commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- 10+ years of business administration experience, preferably within a large media organization, and/or complex institution which include:
- Organizational design and structure
- Legal compliance, including FCC, labor and employment law
- Financial, contract and project management
- Talent acquisition and development with an emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated team building experience with an ability to coach, lead and inspire
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to use data and analytics to inform decision-making.
For more information, please visit this page.