Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Regular
Reports to: Accounting Supervisor
The Accounting Technician will process accounts payable and maintain accurate records of such transactions; provide vendor follow up and general finance support. Reports directly to Accounting Supervisor.
- Review and approve Concur payment requests.
- Audit employee expense reports.
- Responsible for obtaining additional signatures and check distribution.
- Maintain accounts payable files.
- Respond to minor vendor and in-house inquiries regarding status of payables.
- Assist with account reconciliations and schedule preparation as needed.
- Maintain open invoice files.
- Enter all wire information on a monthly basis.
- Work closely with other departments to maintain a positive customer experience throughout the process to meet deadlines.
- Assist the department during the annual audit process.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Basic knowledge of accounting procedures.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with careful attention to detail needed.
- Strong understanding and application of computer technology to efficiently accomplish work, using Microsoft Office programs, email, Internet, and database management software.
- Proficiency with accounting software systems, such as Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains or comparable package, strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree desirable.
- Minimum two years of experience in an accounting and finance environment.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WETA/NewsHour Productions is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. Fostering a culture of mutual respect is a top priority and something we take very seriously.
Employment at WETA/NewsHour Productions is based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, age, ethnicity or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sex (including pregnancy), physical, mental or sensory ability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to demonstrating fair and equitable systems, practices, and processes related to how we recruit, develop, retain, promote, reward, compensate, and terminate talent.
We know that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is fundamental to the success of our business and our people, and we will continue to recognize it as part of our guiding principles.