Audience Services Representative
Reports to: Executive Director, Development Operations
The Audience Services Representative will serve as frontline customer service representative to WETA’s members, viewers and listeners. Assist donors and audience members with questions and concerns on WETA’s fundraising program; problem-solving and assistance with WETA Passport (our membership video on-demand streaming service); and with information about WETA’s television and radio programs. Market the benefits of WETA membership to inbound callers when and where appropriate. Occasionally represent WETA at workplace giving and/or other fundraising or outreach events, and strike an overall balance in advocacy for WETA’s best interest with the needs and best interests of its constituents. Reports to Executive Director, Development Operations. NOTE: most WETA staff (including this position) currently are required to work from home, though we expect to return to the office for in-person work as circumstances allow. Access to high-speed Internet in the home is required for this position.
- Answer and respond to member/audience telephone lines; respond to email and written correspondence; send/respond to inbound chat and outbound text messages. Perform research and follow-up work to solve member/audience problems regarding contributions, WETA Passport streaming video service, delivery of WETA Magazine, thank you gifts, address changes, tax record information and WETA’s entire range of television and radio programs.
- Record all member and audience interactions in Development database to assure accurate reflection and analysis of audience feedback.
- Where appropriate, market WETA membership benefits to inbound callers.
- Coordinate with Fulfillment Manager and On-Air Fundraising to assure timely delivery of special gift requests or exception items.
- Check, complete and follow through on ticklers or flex-list items from external vendor desk manager and pledge call service for routine data clean up, special questions or premium delivery and other exception items where the donor does not contact Audience Services directly.
- Represent WETA at workplace giving campaign fairs and other Communications and outreach events as needed and directed by supervisor. NOTE: These events are currently paused due to the pandemic.
- Assist with training of new staff as needed.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Outgoing, upbeat personality with strong desire to assist and educate the general public.
- Experience downloading and using video streaming apps; basic understanding of how sign in and search processes work with video streaming services.
- Strong research, Internet and typing skills; experience with Microsoft applications (especially Word and Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; excellent listening skills and ability to demonstrate compassion, professionalism, enthusiasm and cheerfulness even with the most challenging callers.
- Organized, detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team; ability to juggle multiple tasks and solve unanticipated problems quickly and efficiently.
- Database/data entry experience preferred, though not essential.
- Ability to handle occasional high volume of calls and emails and work quickly under pressure.
- Able to work from home with access to high-speed Internet.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree in public relations, communications, marketing, or liberal arts field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of front-line telephone, front desk, retail, restaurant or other customer service experience.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
WETA and NewsHour Productions prioritizes the safety and security of our community. In accordance with our focus on providing and maintaining a safe workplace, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees working in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office and employees who may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite, subject to business needs.
In accordance with this policy, all applicants for employment in a WETA and/or NewsHour Productions office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Requests for exemption from this policy based on a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief will be considered upon a conditional offer of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
WETA and NewsHour Productions is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is informed by guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WETA and NewsHour Productions are equal opportunity employers committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. WETA and NewsHour Productions make hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.