Vice President of Information Technology
Full-Time, Exempt, Regular
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Overall Job Objectives
The Vice President of Information Technology Operations provides leadership and management to the Information Technology (IT) department in its charge to carry out WETA’s IT department operational strategy. The VP IT Operations is responsible for all aspects of information technology management and control, including supervision of information technology employees; budget preparation and management; recommendations for technical acquisitions; operation and maintenance of WETA’s business computing resources; and development of guidelines, standards and procedures.
The VP IT Operations provides the IT vision and leadership necessary to maintain a highly effective business computing environment that takes appropriate advantage of new technology to provide critical professional tools to WETA employees.
The VP IT Operations is responsible for the reliable, cost-effective and technologically appropriate operation of WETA’s business computing environment. This includes desktop computer services, network infrastructure, internet connectivity and general management information services.
The VP IT Operations will work closely with the departments that rely on WETA systems to ensure (a) system security, (b) network security, (c) optimal selection of hardware, (d) effective backups.
Network and Computing Operations
- Develop an information technology vision for WETA that supports the mission and business goals of the organization.
- Plan, implement and manage company computing infrastructure in multiple locations with a user-centric sensibility and constant attention to cost-effectiveness. Establish technical priorities, standards, and procedures. Ensure sufficient systems capacity for organizational needs. Ensure the continual functioning of mission critical operations.
- Maintain security and privacy of the information systems and equipment.
- Review and approve all hardware, software and information technology acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management members as appropriate.
- Develop, review, and implement back-up and disaster recovery plans for mission critical computing systems.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key IT suppliers and consultants. Advise departments having specialized applications on the selection of major vendors.
- Manage, evaluate and prioritize the work of all IT Team members as needed to maintain the operation vision and execution strategy at WETA.
Security and Risk Mitigation
- VP IT Operations will work with relevant parties within the company to create, update and maintain IT governance and compliance policies and best practices.
- This position will endeavor to implement technology to meet the business needs of WETA within a secure operations framework, which seeks to reduce and mitigate risk.
- This person will have experience with frameworks such as NIST and SOC2 and understand how to manage within those frameworks to advance WETA’s technology environment.
- This role will contribute to cyber security assessments, audit committee requirements and other relevant organizational needs in regards to IT Security.
- Identify emerging information technologies to be assimilated, integrated, and introduced within the company.
- Evaluate “best of breed” technology alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommends solutions that maximize efficiency and effectiveness and minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
Policy Development and Budgets
- Oversee the creation, maintenance and enforcement of written policies and procedures regarding computer, email, and internet usage throughout the company to ensure protection of company’s integrity, security, and privacy.
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Submit annual departmental operating expense and capital budgets and administer funds according to approved budget.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the components necessary to configure and maintain a complex computing infrastructure located in multiple locations.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate new and existing technologies and implement technology solutions while managing costs and risk.
- Professional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to analyze and resolve complex technical issues under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to make desired progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proactive in identifying and correcting information technology problems.
- Able to work well with existing management team, WETA staff at all levels, and external parties as needed.
- Ability to communicate with and understand the needs of non-technical staff with a strong customer service orientation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, MIS, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in information services and 5 years in IT management.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Proof of full dosage of a COVID-19 vaccination is required for all positions that will be working onsite, or may reasonably or occasionally be called to work onsite.
Founded in 1961, WETA is Washington, DC’s leading public broadcasting station. As a PBS and NPR member, we not only serve the DC metro area with our local programming and classical radio station, but also the nation with Washington Week, PBS NewsHour, and our partnerships with Ken Burns and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Our staff comes from very diverse backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common; we believe in our mission and the service we provide to the public.
We know there are great candidates who may have skills we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with disabilities.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.