WFAE is seeking an experienced and innovative Executive Director of Development to lead our fundraising efforts. As one of the key drivers of our organization's financial growth, you will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive strategies to secure philanthropic support from major donors, foundations, corporations and members that will include unrestricted funding for general operations, restricted funding for specific initiatives and campaign support for organizational growth and transformation.
This is a critical moment for local journalism. More than 70 million people live in news deserts in this country, and more than 2,500 newspapers have closed since 2005. Misinformation and disinformation are on the rise. Public media news organizations such as WFAE are filling the gap, but we need more funding to address the growing demand for trustworthy, inclusive, solutions-driven journalism. In this role, you will help us realize that goal by accelerating the growth of our philanthropic support and creating sustainable funding streams.
As the Executive Director of Development, you also will manage your own portfolio of donors while overseeing the work of our gifts officers and membership team. We are eager to speak to candidates who are creative, possess a can-do attitude and who value and champion diversity, inclusivity and equity in their own approach to leading teams, collaborating and engaging with community stakeholders.
- Strategic Leadership: Provide visionary leadership and strategic direction for the development team, setting clear goals and objectives aligned with the organization's mission and financial needs.
- Major Giving: Cultivate and steward relationships with high-net-worth individuals and major donors, devising tailored engagement strategies to secure substantial financial contributions.
- Institutional Giving: Oversee the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of grants from foundations, corporations, and government agencies. Ensure alignment between the organization's programs and the funding priorities of potential institutional partners.
- Membership Programs: Lead the development and execution of strategies to recruit, retain and engage members, enhancing their connection to the organization's content and mission.
- Team Management: Manage and mentor a team of fundraising professionals, fostering a collaborative and results-oriented environment. Provide guidance on donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship techniques.
- Fundraising Strategy: Collaborate with senior leadership to develop and refine the organization's fundraising strategy, ensuring a diversified funding portfolio and long-term financial sustainability.
- Donor Engagement: Personally engage with key donors, stakeholders and supporters to build and maintain relationships, communicating the impact of their contributions.
- Budget Oversight: Manage the development budget, tracking fundraising expenses and revenues, and providing regular financial reports to the leadership team.
- Data Analysis: Utilize data-driven insights to assess fundraising performance, identify trends and adjust strategies as needed to maximize fundraising effectiveness.
- Process and Tools: Bolster the development systems and structures that will support effective, efficient, sustainable, and professional fundraising and communications programs
- Collaboration: Work closely with other teams to ensure consistent messaging and branding across all fundraising efforts.
- Events and Campaigns: Collaborate on the planning and execution of fundraising and donor events, campaigns and initiatives that resonate with donors and members.
- At least 10 years of experience, of which at least five includes leading teams at high-achieving nonprofit organizations.
- Proven track record of success in major giving, institutional giving and membership fundraising.
- Strong understanding of fundraising best practices and ethical standards.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and inspire donors, team members and stakeholders.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to align fundraising efforts with organizational goals.
- Experience in budget management and financial reporting.
- Proficiency in utilizing fundraising software and data analytics tools.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Passion for public media and a deep commitment to the organization's mission.
- Knowledge of and experience in the Charlotte/Regional market is highly preferred