The Producer will assist the host of All Things Considered (ATC) to ensure that the most important stories in the Charlotte region are aired and published each day. The producer will report on breaking news, update ongoing coverage and help prioritize the afternoon news lineup. The producer will also be responsible for updating wfae.org with stories that air on ATC and contributing posts for social media and The Frequency, WFAE’s daily newsletter. The Producer for All Things Considered will report to the Host of ATC and will work closely with the news director and managing editor to fulfill the responsibilities of the job.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produce and anchor newscasts during All Things Considered
- Closely track news stories, and cut and copy and headlines
- Producing, reporting, writing and rewriting stories as necessary
- Grabbing sound from long-form feature stories, news conferences, Charlotte Talks and other sources to use in newscasts
- Generating story ideas for stories and two-ways for ATC Host
- Scanning the wires and other news outlets for “headlines ” and breaking news
- Booking and pre-interviewing guests for live and pre-taped interviews, including sports and entertainment weekly segments
- Editing interviews, as needed
- Producing promos weekly for ATC and for entertainment and sports segments as needed
- Produce and voice spots for other shows as assigned
- Updating website and social media platforms with ATC content
- Serving as a backup All Things Considered host
- Watching for weather and traffic updates throughout the show for use in newscasts and continuity segments
- Participating in daily editorial meetings
- Closely monitoring NCPRA for stories and cut and copy to download and prep for ATC
- Producing and voicing feature stories as time permits
- Take initiative and work collaboratively with WFAE news staff
- Relevant experience producing, editing and/or hosting
- 3+ years of public radio or related experience
- Knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics and standards
- In-depth knowledge of state, regional, national and international issues
- Excellent organizational, communications (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and also independently
- Ability to work under strict deadline conditions
Diversity and Equal Opportunity:
WFAE is deeply committed to and desires for our workforce to be a reflection of the community we serve. WFAE is an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who contribute to our diversity, equality and inclusion. All persons meeting the qualifications above are encouraged and welcome to apply.
WFAE is a multi-platform public media station offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.