METROPOLITAN INDIANAPOLIS PUBLIC MEDIA, INC
WFYI is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
As Indiana’s largest public media, WFYI reaches more than half a million people with trusted news and compelling stories across radio, TV, digital, and in-person. Every day, we leverage NPR, PBS, and our local staff to empower, educate, entertain, and connect our communities through impactful journalism, inspiring stores, and lifelong learning.
*GRANT FUNDED ROLE
This position hold responsibility for the funding needs of IPBS’s statewide news initiative (IPB News) through grant funding opportunities. This role will focus on prospecting, developing relationships with funders, especially those that are regional and national in scope; applying for grants in coordination with WFYI’s Manager of Grants & Foundation Relations, IPB News Management, and stakeholders at IPBS and member stations’ and working with IPB News Management to ensure grant deliverables are fulfilled, including monitoring financial records and day-to-day spend. In coordination with Finance, they will complete reporting to funders in a timely and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the essential functions and responsibilities listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Reports to and work in coordination with WFYI’s Manager of Grants & Foundation Relations to develop strategy to cultivate, solicit and steward grants for Indiana Public Broadcasting Stations’ statewide news initiative IPB News, including prospecting, the application process, management and reporting
- Meet the goals set annually for amount of dollars raised, number of grants submitted, and stewardship activities important to building relationships for IPB News mission
- Research and Cultivation
- Built a robust pipeline of foundation support by working with content teams to develop strategies for grant opportunities
- Manage foundation relationships through the formation of strategy, preparation of supporting documents, drafting correspondence and documenting contact.
- Foster personal connections with staff, board and other key foundation contacts
- Proposal Development and Submission
- Secure funding for IPB News initiatives to meet annual fundraising goals
- Serve as the primary contact, liaison, and conduit of information with funders in relation to proposals/ applications and all other communications
- Service as primary editor and conduit for applications, letters for inquiry, proposals, and all other communications. Ensure that submissions are thorough and compelling. Supervise final production, ensuring that are relevant attachments are included, packaged in a quality manger, and that the submission of proposals meets deadlines and are documented
- Work with accounting and relevant program staff to develop accurate budget information for funding applications
- Grants Management
- Monito progress and work with staff and senior management to ensure that grant-funded projects have been initiated and are meeting conditions and expectations of the grant
- Works with staff and senior management to ensure grant funds are spent on time and in accordance with grant terms
- Oversee the preparation and submission of all required reports in cooperation with Finance department
- With director from supervisor, oversee grant management systems, including annual calendar, revenue tracking report, active grants spreadsheet and historical status of prospective, awarded declined and tables grants
- Provide insight on grantmaking best practices and streamlining procedures
- Evaluation and Impact
- Generate reports and work with marketing team to create visual communication pieces that tell the story of IPB News’s strategies and impact
- Generate reports, analyses, and date visualizations on grants budget, grants flow, historic trends, forecasting, and processing performance to inform continuous improvement and learning
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- Bachelor’s degree with philanthropic study preferred
- Minimum of five years’ experience in foundation, grant writing, and administration preferred
- Demonstrated success in securing large grant funding opportunities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Excellent project management skills and demonstration successful collaborative work
- Exemplary written communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail orientated, high organized with ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience in non-profit organization and/or public media preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
- Must be able to lift, carry and position 25 pounds at times