This position leads statewide daily news planning, coordination, and editing. The IPB Daily News Editor edits a team of beat reporters based across Indiana and serving communities through a dozen NPR and PBS partner stations. This role coaches and supports reporters while building relationships with communities across Indiana. This position sets the daily news budget. The editor will work with five reporters to help identify and prioritize short-term stories on their beat, shape ongoing coverage, and edit daily broadcast spots on tight deadlines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the essential functions and responsibilities listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Daily short form editing
- Plan and set the daily news budget for IPB News to meet deliverables, work with the managing editor, engagement manager and digital editor on editorial planning
- Communicate daily plans to statewide partners
- Work with reporters ahead of news gathering to help shape and plan both daily stories and continuing coverage; help reporters identify and prioritize short-form stories
- Collaboratively edit newscast stories with reporters, preserving their voice and style and coach reporters to help them improve their work; edit for accuracy and clarity; fact-check stories; ensuring statewide deadlines are met
- Serve key role in coordinating breaking news coverage; On occasion, provide editorial support for partner stations; Coordinate with partner radio and television stations – helping to identify needs
- Fill-in for managing editor as needed
- Digital editing:
- Fill in for digital editor, publish stories through shared CMS, and send web elements to partners stations statewide
- Edit web stories for clarity, adhering to AP Style and our statewide style guide, work with reporters on headlines that are both creative and SEO
- Have a working understanding of basic HTML to embed community engagement tools and pre-built graphics into stories
- Video deliverables:
- Work with videographer to address short-form video needs for partner stations; identify video opportunities for daily reporting
- Coordinate daily video deliverables with partner stations
- Coordinate partner radio and television stations – helping to identify needs
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- High School Diploma
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a newsroom as a reporter, producer or editor
- Experience identifying and shaping stories that are relevant to and inclusive of many communities
- Basic experience with HTML
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion within the team and in reporting and sourcing. Ability to build relationships with many diverse communities across Indiana
- Advanced skills in news writing and copy editing, ability to edit on tight deadlines for accuracy, style, and structure.
- Skilled at helping develop short-form story ideas and continuing coverage, helping reporters develop expertise on their beats
- Ability to coordinate among partner radio and television stations – helpings identify needs and working with station news directors, editors, and reporters
- Excellent communication skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work under deadline pressure
- One year of editing experience
- Knowledge of SEO principles and best practices
- Fluency in Spanish
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
- Must be able to lift, carry and position 25 pounds at times