METROPOLITAN INDIANAPOLIS PUBLIC MEDIA, INC
WFYI is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
As Indiana’s largest public media, WFYI reaches more than half a million people with trusted news and compelling stories across radio, TV, digital, and in-person. Every day, we leverage NPR, PBS, and our local staff to empower, educate, entertain, and connect our communities through impactful journalism, inspiring stories, and lifelong learning.
This position will produce daily journalism that focuses on the many ways policy affects people across the state and responds directly to community questions and needs. Working in a fast-paced environment, this position enjoys the variety provided by quick-turn daily reporting and grows with support, training opportunities and a mission to produce community-focused statewide journalism. The employee in this role will discover, explore and tell stories that are both urgent and thoughtful and may include covering a news conference one day and filing an explainer in response to audience questions on another issue the next. Work closely with a team of five beat reporters (education, health, energy/environment, workforce, state politics) and with the full support of a videographer, digital editor, engagement manager and managing editor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the essential functions and responsibilities listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, valuing and respecting the many experiences and perspectives across our team, stations, and communities.
- File daily spot news stories on deadline for radio and television newscasts, and digital platforms
- Work closely with engagement manager to respond to audience questions (sent via text, web or listening session) with relevant information and resources. Participate fully in the IPB News engagement process as one way to identify relevant ideas, topics, and sources and tell stories with communities not just about them.
- Report and produce quick-turn stories that are timely and relevant, add context, and include voices and perspectives that represent the wide variety of communities across Indiana.
- Write and produce high quality digital stories and take photos for web and social, appropriate for distribution to IPB News partners
- Develop and maintain sources, commit to diversity in sources and coverage, and build expertise on issues and communities across Indiana
- Collaborate daily and work closely with the statewide IPB news team, contributing to editorial meetings and working collaboratively with editors, reporters and producers to conceive and execute stories
- Actively report through social media and engage audiences through social media channels
- Contribute to events, programs, podcasts and video segments
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- High School Diploma required
- Knowledge and experience doing work in a radio and/or tv setting preferred
- Experience with video production- preferred
- Fluency in Spanish – preferred
- Familiarity with public broadcasting - preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- One year of journalism experience or equivalent training or coursework
- Proven ability to identify and originate stories that are relevant to diverse communities, report accurately and quickly, and meet deadlines.
- Skilled in reporting including strong writing, reporting and interviewing skills
- Ability to produce -or quickly learn to produce – video news content
- Ability to excel in a collaborative team environment with a high level of personal motivation
- Ability to provide live reports and two-ways
- Ability to tackle difficult projects
- Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects
- Ability to produce compelling storytelling and originality in writing
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
- Must be able to lift, carry and position 25 pounds at times