The Managing Editor develops the editorial voice that supports WGCU’s news initiatives. This position collaborates with the Executive Producer to oversee the daily operations of WGCU’s Content team. Ensures that deadlines are met on multiple media platforms with responsibility for overall quality and consistency of work. Manages a team of professional reporters and media professionals. Serves as a mentor; assists current staffers and contributors to grow and develop professional skills.
WGCU is Southwest Florida’s source for PBS and NPR. A member-supported service of Florida Gulf Coast University, WGCU provides educational programming that inspires, informs and engages our community. Serving all or part of 12 counties in south and Southwest Florida, with five distinct digital TV channels, two FM radio channels, two HD radio channels, and multiple websites, WGCU delivers national and international programming, and develops, produces and delivers relevant, informative and educational local programs to the region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Researches, writes, and edits for a range of stories for multiple news platforms.
- Demonstrated experience making FOIA requests and using public records affectively in investigative and government accountability reporting.
- Regularly writes articles, edits, and develops content and written materials for internal and external publication.
- Writes special articles and submits final drafts and layouts to production department.
- Analyzes data trends to drive topics and assign reporters.
- Vets, assigns, and edits stories.
- Consult with writers regarding changes and production techniques to assure consistency of style and presentation.
- Plans, creates, and manages content calendar; assigns articles and other content acquisitions to freelancers. Schedules work phases for publication development.
- Proofreads and edits stories and final productions to ensure documents are readable, clear, consistent, accurate, factual, and conform to university editorial and AV standards.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Reviews progress, evaluates results, implements new processes, and promotes best practices.
- Participates in recruiting, hiring, and evaluating staff.
- Represents the department at meetings as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in English, communication, journalism, public relations or a related area.
- Six years of professional full-time writing experience.
- Proven experience overseeing content from ideation to creation.
- Experience managing and developing writers.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook).
More information about WGCU is available online at WGCU.org, and by following us on Facebook at wgcupublicmedia, on Twitter @wgcu and Instagram @wgcupublicmedia.