The Reporter Host I oversees content and production elements during WGCU broadcast programming.
WGCU is Southwest Florida’s source for PBS and NPR. A member-supported service of Florida Gulf Coast University, WGCU provides educational programming that inspires, informs and engages our community. Serving all or part of 12 counties in south and Southwest Florida, with five distinct digital TV channels, two FM radio channels, two HD radio channels, and multiple websites, WGCU delivers national and international programming, and develops, produces and delivers relevant, informative and educational local programs to the region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Researches and develops news stories through ongoing inquiries with newsmakers and community figures on a local, state, national and international level.
- Conducts interviews, records audio, reports and writes news stories in accordance with journalistic standards and ethics as defines by the Society of Professional Journalists and the Radio-Television News Directors Association.
- Creates multi-platform treatments from stories whenever appropriate.
- Web posting of WGCU News scripts, audio and photographs.
- Collaborates and contributes to story concepts, research, background materials and shares newsmaker contacts with colleagues.
- Maintain data and information collection through updates to contact lists, electronic and hard-copy files of archived work and directories of external materials in accordance with Florida’s public records laws and the federal Freedom of Information Act.
- Correspond with public inquiries regarding news stories that have been reported on WGCU and National Public Radio.
- Adheres to the NPR Code of Ethics and public media editorial standards and practices.
- Serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the event of an emergency on campus.
- Contributes to WGCU-TV local programs with stories, hosting or other services as needed..
- Participates in on-air fundraising campaigns and WGCU Public Media special events.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
- Two years of professional, full time experience in broadcast news, public radio field reporting and interviewing.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Superior on-air voice quality and network quality hosting.
More information about WGCU is available online at WGCU.org, and by following us on Facebook at wgcupublicmedia, on Twitter @wgcu and Instagram @wgcupublicmedia