Come and join an Award-Winning Broadcast Media Operation!
The College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida, ranked No. 1 public university by the Wall Street Journal, invites applications for Director of Operations who embraces innovation, service, and passion to train the next generation of broadcasters and media professionals. A successful candidate will serve as a vital team member of the College’s leadership team and will demonstrate behaviors that support a people-centered culture where all employees can thrive, innovate, and grow.
Reporting to the Executive Director of DMP (Division of Media Properties), the Director of Operations will provide leadership of the daily operation of UF College of Journalism and Communications multimedia enterprise including, but not limited to the following: WUFT-TV, WUFT-FM, WUFT Classic (WUFT-HD2), GHQ (WUFT-HD3), WRUF-AM, WRUF-FM, WRUF-TV, and their associated websites, social media accounts and mobile media platforms. The College's media enterprise serves the dual mission of service to the communities of North Central Florida but also as a primary mechanism to support immersive professional experiences for students.
At the University of Florida, you will not only find competitive salaries, but you will enjoy elevated benefits and leave options, tuition assistance programs, and support with opportunities for advancement and career growth that only UF can offer. To view the university’s Total Reward benefit package, please click here, https://benefits.hr.ufl.edu/.
A successful candidate will perform the following:
- Work with department heads and the leadership team to ensure the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and State of Florida community service grant provisions compliance and ensure broadcast station compliance with FCC standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director, Director of Finance, and the associated business department to ensure annual budgeting is accomplished to reflect the mission and goals of the organization. Provide leadership and sets ethical and legal standards. Ensures compliance with community standards and all rules and regulations regarding both public and commercial broadcasting.
- Collaborate with the Director of the Innovation News Center (INC) to ensure a high level of local news content is utilized on the multiple media platforms CJC operates.
- Directs and assists DMP departmental leaders in the high level execution of programming and operations content that positions the College's media enterprise as a leader to industry and to the communities we serve, but also to the students of CJC through providing them with outstanding immersive professional experiences.
- Coordinate and participate in special events coverage that is necessary to meet the mission obligations of the DMP and the College.
- Support strategic initiatives as established by CJC leadership such as news and other local content, programming, and weather. Ensuring FPREN (Florida Public Radio Emergency Network) are fully implemented at the local level and that the weather/FPREN team is executing at the highest level.
- This position oversees the chief meteorologist and content producers and editors to ensure both the University's media properties and those affiliated with FPREN and SCEIN (South Carolina Emergency Information Network) receives high quality products and services from WUFT. Additionally, the position creates and manages critically important relationships with governmental weather and public safety entities on a local, state, and national level.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Master's degree in an appropriate area and six years of relevant experience; or a bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and eight years of relevant experience.
- Background in the management and oversight of both commercial and/or public media operations with at least 10 years in a departmental leadership position.
- Budget, finance, and operational management of a complex organization including in a higher education environment.
- Leadership in fostering a culture of belonging and serving in a role overseeing the business and operations functions of a complex unit or entity with multiple budgets and personnel.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
*Must upload a resume, cover letter, and list of three references for consideration.
Normal Work Schedule
Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm with occasional variations as dictated by the situation, circumstances, or direction by the Executive Director of the DMP at the College of Journalism and Communications. Unique circumstances, such as significant community events or breaking news/severe weather-hurricane events may dictate working after hours or weekends.
The position is considered to be an essential position at the University of Florida and, as such, the role will be called on to lead an essential operation.
Expected Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Website for applications: Careers at UF